1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video to HDMI converter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by redsoxfan26, Oct 18, 2009.

1. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Are they any good?

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My first question is where would you use one? Most equipment has that built in and better performing than an external device.

Since you have your reasons, I wish I could tell you one way or another if they are any good. I haven't had the need yet. My TVs and A/V Receivers do the job for me.

Sorry couldn't be more help,
    Tom

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have to agree with Tom here. Recognize that a component to HDMI converter should provide a means for incorporating digital audio, so it should have either an optical or coaxial digital audio input. However, you should also be aware that such a converter would not support the latest types of HD surround audio such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. OTOH, most current receivers with HDMI outputs provide component to HDMI conversion (recognizing the audio shortcomings).
    Personally, I'd avoid the use of a converter.If you have a component video source you wish to connect to your TV, use a component input on the TV. If needed, component selector switches are readily available.