1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer/Networking advice needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by bluesman40220, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    I didn't really know where to put this, so if it is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

I got home today and my computer has the blue screen of death. It lived a long life and it should have few regrets. It is time to move on. I am the owner (leasee :D ) of an HR20 and when I get a new computer I want something that will play well with the HR20's networking capability. My wife and I have a baby on the way so $1000 is the upper end of my budget. Any suggestions as to what I should look for?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in getting a computer that people have had FEW problems working with D*'s equipment. I have a new PS3 so this is not going to be a gaming machine. Good internet capabilities are a must.

Finally, it must be a PC. Sorry Mac users it just isn't my thing. Thanks again.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I personally have had excellent results with Compaqs, which are now the low end brand from HP. The support is only "fair", no better or worse than anyone else but they come with relatively little crapware, are inexpensive and decently powerful.

If you have $1000 to spend, my advice is to get a slightly lower-end computer and load it up with memory instead of getting a faster processor and skimping on RAM.

3. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    It is the wrong location, but I suppose the answers will get moved too.

Dell has a new small business line called Vostro that comes with no crapware pre-loaded.
    You don't need to show them a business license or anything. Just ship it your home address using a made up business name.

I like the sleek Vostro 200 slim tower.

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Couldn't have said better myself...
    Ditto!

5. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    If you want something thats officially supported by DirecTV & the HR20 developers, then make sure it has an Intel processor and ViiV. It will be on the Intel logo. It will work with other Media servers, but its the only supported one.

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    look for the ViiV label..

7. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    I have used Presarios and Pavilions for quite some time. Minimal issues to speak of. Another suggestion to save some $$ is to purchase refurbished directly from HP. You can get a better PC for same $$ brand new. The warranty is less time (90 days) but the PC has been inspected at least two times.

I was just looking at them and you can get one starting at $399.

www.hpshopping.com

pf

8. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Does the new Vista OS work with the HR20?

I have had a Compaq before and had nothing but bad experiences with it. Your advice about the memory is great though. I will probably go with a different brand name. Maybe I just had a bad computer, but it was REALLY bad.

I am looking into the Vostro. Thanks guys!

9. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have Vista Home Premium on 3 of my PC's and they all work great with all 3 of my HR20's.

10. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    People have said that TVersity will work with Vista. I also remember an article that some PC makers were reverting some of their models back to XP.

pf

11. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    Whatever you get, I strongly recommend blowing the factory partition away and re-installing the OS, drivers, and just the software you want to use on it.

Other than the aforementioned Vostro line, most new name brand PC's are crippled by trial software and other useless junk right out of the box.

Vista is not ready for primtime IMHO. It's bloated and a serious resource hog.

12. 4DThinker

4DThinker Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    I just got a Dell small case PC wth Vista Home premium on it, and it works fine with the HR20. It also shares media with my older HP PC that got upgraded to Vista Home Premium.

The new HR20 software has screwed up my sharing, but I'm still working that out.

13. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Thanks everyone. Thanks mods for leaving this thread here. I really didn't know where to put it. I think I am going to get this $900 Dell Inspiron. Looks like it will do everything I want it to do. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of how well this machine works with the HR-20? Thanks!

PROCESSOR AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+ edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium edit
    MONITOR No Monitor edit
    MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs edit
    HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive edit
    VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT-DDR3 edit
    SOUND Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition edit
    KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
    FLOPPY & MEDIA READER 13 in 1 Media Card Reader edit

14. BubbaDude

BubbaDude AllStar

May 21, 2007
    I build my own computers from the motherboard up, but the Dell Inspiron you've mentioned is pretty close to what mine looks like, so I'd say it should work pretty well. Because it has the AMD processor, it won't run Intel's ViiV software but I don't think that's a problem. To connect it to the HR20, just enable sharing in Microsoft Media Center and you're good to go. Intel's software is crap, which I know because I once worked there.

The only warning is about Vista vs. XP. I run XP and Linux, and what I've heard about Vista is pretty scary. Someday MS will have the bugs worked out, but there's still a significant amount of software that doesn't run on Vista. NVidia has a nice DVD decoder that will enable you to use your new PC as a DVD player (plug it directly into an HD TV through DVI/HDMI and add an S/P DIF hookup to your receiver) but last time I checked it didn't support Vista.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If there's room in the budget for more RAM I'd recommend it.

16. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    $900 bucks and no monitor?

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I can't top the words of wisdom spoken here, so I'll comment on the thread itself. Yes, I will move this to the HR20 Information Resources thread as a key component of the equation is the HR20 compatibility. And, as is the practice at DBSTalk.com, a marker showing that the thread had been here but is now moved is left so everyone can still find the thread easily.

Cheers and good luck,
    Tom

18. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    I found a $350 discount coupon online for select Inspiron computers so I took your advice and doubled up on the memory. Thanks!

19. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Once again, this forum helps me out in a big way. Much thanks to everyone who had some input. As soon as I talk to my friend who does IT for a living (for the freebies of course) I will be placing my order and will soon network my HR20!

20. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    I recently bought a Dell Athalon Dual Core machine. Got it with XP. Works great. I've been really happy with this machine. Its running WMP 11 with no problems getting music and photos working on the HR20. I'm using a wireless connection to the HR20. I simply put the HR20's mac address in my router and it took right off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.