1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer NIGHTMARE!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Kevin, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm back! This explains why I haven't been on DBSTalk for over a month:

One day in the middle of August (the 16th, I think) there was a severe thunderstorm with some pretty bad lightning at noon. That evening, at 6pm, my computer recieved a blue screen out of nowhere and then proceeded to restart and do an automatic ScanDisk. The ScanDisk froze at 3% so I flipped the power switch on my surge protector, waited a few seconds and then flipped it back on. Then I noticed that the power button on the computer was lit yellow instead of the normal green. The CPU and processor fans were running as they should but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the computer to boot (I couldn't even get the monitor on, as a matter of fact). I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with the Dell Tech Support taking the computer apart and troubleshooting only to find out that my motherboard had been fried by the lightning earlier that day through the phone line and that my computer was no longer covered under the warranty since it expired in June. I was forwarded to the sales department which told me that I would have to buy a brand new motherboard and put it back together myself, so I told them forget it and hung up. I was so pissed at the computer that I decided to forget about it for a little while because I needed a break from it. It sat there for 3 weeks before I took it to a computer repairman who told me that I can file a claim under the homeowners insurance and possibly get the whole thing replaced. The next day my mother called the insurance company and filed the claim. She was told that they would replace the computer if we paid the $250 deductible, so we faxed the computer's specs over to the insurance company and the new computer was ordered.The computer arrived today and what a surprise I got! Not only did they send us a new hard drive, but new speakers, keyboard, and mouse too (I thought that they were only sending us a new hard drive)! Plus, I got 256MB RAM and a 2.0gHz processor, almost twice as fast as my old computer! That's about the only good thing I can say about the whole ordeal. Not having a computer for almost 6 weeks really sucked and it's great to be back.

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hi Kevin! Welcome back. I was wondering what happened to you. Glad everything worked out.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Guess who's back
    Back again
    Kevin's back
    Tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back :D

Welcome back! I had a similar experience a few weeks ago, but not nearly as bad. My modem got fried, a few days later a tech came to replace it under warranty. I was just the modem though. It suck not having a computer for 6 weeks, but you got a nice new machine out of the whole situation :)

4. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats why I never use computers.

5. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "I thought that they were only sending us a new hard drive"

Uh, how would a new hard drive fix a damaged mainboard (the term motherboard is sexist IMHO, mainboard means the same thing) They had to replace at LEAST the mainboard and the case (because you needed a new mainboard according to Dell, and only Dell makes mainboard that fit Dell cases so you'd need to replace the case also)

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Give me a break!

7. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    note the IMHO. I also don't like "master" and "slave" on IDE and much prefer to use device 0 and device 1 (which is actually more correct with the design of modern IDE controllers). That wasn't the point of my message though, just a quick explanation of why I used the term mainboard even though he used motherboard in the original post...

8. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You would have loved Lotus old product "cc:Mail". Originally one of the the Syncronization schemes was called Master-Slave, but was changed to Superior-Surbordinate.

Any other words your prefer not to use?

Cockpit
    BlackBalled
    BlackListed
    Girly
    Dominant-Submissive
    Dominatrix
    feMALE
    HIStory
    ???

9. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Too be honest I would agree with all of your list except female, history, and cockpit. Especially girly since I know all too well how it's used as an insult...

10. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Blackballed, you are sick! I prefer blueballs. :shrug:

11. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    No you don't. I have a ASUS "masterboard" (is that ok?) in an old Dell case. You don't need a new case.

12. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm not sure about ALL Dell cases, but the ones I've seen have a custom mainboard.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Ahem...damn computer industry ...work of the devil... :D

Welcome back Kevin!

14. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Next Zac is gonna ask how you make a Floppy Disk into a Hard Disk. :D :lol:

15. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    I have heard several people refer to the entire case (Mobo, hard drive, floppy,etc.) as a "hard drive".

16. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    Way off base. Every Dell I've worked on in the past for years (many, I might add) are all ATX form fitting. Easy swapouts.

And I'm also up for "Gimme a break!!!!!" on the "motherboard" comment. Keep your pontificating to the Potpourri forum.