1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Startup Problem.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by -, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

My computer automatically loads Scan Disk even when I shut off the computer properly the time before. Its greyed on Thorough mode too. Any way to stop this? Thanks. The only way I know is each time hitting cancel.

2. Guest

Start -> Run -> type 'msconfig ->
    Select 'Advanced' on the 'General' tab
    Place check next to 'Disable scandisk after bad shutdown'

See if that does it

3. Guest

If you have a machine that was "Customized" by someone, they may have added scandisk to the Autoexec.bat (something I used to do in the old days).

Steve's MSconfig solution may look in the Autoexec.bat for you on one of those tabs (too lazy to go look)

It could also be a sign that something is not shutting down properly (even though it may look that way)

Do you have Norton Utilities or a similar product installed.

There are many ways that intentionally or unintentionally the program can be run.

What operating system are you using, that could make a big difference??? 95, 98, ME, XP Home, NT Wkstn, 2000 Pro, XP Pro???

4. Guest

Without a password :(

5. Guest

Yeah I know. It's one of the hazards of allowing unregistered users to post. It really doesn't matter though. We don't allow people impersonating other people and we can tell if it's actually you or not. If it's an imposter, we either delete the post or change the name.

6. Guest

Funny. I'm very observant!!! (other than not noticing I didn't type in my password) :D

7. Guest

Thanks. I knew it was somewhere in msconfig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.