1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer to tv hookup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by westview, Oct 17, 2012.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    My computer is hooked up to my DVR with an ethernet cable. This works great for down loading movies. I would like to hook this cable to my tv. However my tv does not have an input for ethernet. Is there some type of adapter I can get.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Some of the newer TVs connect to the internet via wireless connection.
    My Samsung has a USB port for that. However, if I used that it has limited things it will operate from the TV.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I guess the big question is what are you trying to do with your TV? What are you trying to hook up the Ethernet cable for?

- Merg

4. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I want to watch ball games that are streamed on my tv screen

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Roku.

http://www.roku.com/

Or if your computer has the connectors and its convenient you could use it.

6. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    My graphics card has an HDMI out that I use to go to my TV, I would recommend that since you can get some pretty long HDMI cord lengths although where your computer is in your house could be an issue.

7. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    I don't think OP realizes ethernet is used to transmit data, not video (I'm purposely not including HDbaseT). Typically you would use DVI/HDMI to connect a TV to a PC.

8. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Longer runs can cause a whole host of issues. Max I have done is 50 feet, I would not reccomend over 40 feet (15 meter)

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Monoprice.com is your friend for great inexpensive HDMI cables of this or any length

10. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    HDMI and DVI-D are "data" as well.

11. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    So you're telling me I can connect my DVI cable to my router?

No? Why are you choosing to make things more complicated for OP?

12. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    Maybe I did not explain my situation very well. I have a wired router. It is connected to my DVR with an erthernet cable. I can download movies from Direct. I would like to connect it to my TV. However my TV does not have an erthernet input. Could I get an adapter that would work?

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    what is the make and model of your TV? is rare that a "smart TV" does not have an ethernet port. making me believe that your TV does not have any streaming features. I have a Samsung TV that is not an "smart TV" but have a useless ethernet port (apparently for software updates) which it has not got any in almost year and a half since I bought it.

14. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    You would actually be surprised at how many TVs only do wifi these days.

15. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Many devices are capable of providing "smart" features such as roku, vudu, and many blu-ray players. HOWEVER, the only way you can get directv on your TV is through a directv box OR one of the samsungs with RVU built in (but that requires a coax and HR34 [genie]).