1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concurrent Network recordings outside PTAT

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by LtMunst, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    If I have concurrent recordings set for more than one Network program outside of the PTAT hours, will the Hopper still be able to use only 1 tuner for this?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    PTAT is the only concurrent tuner usually used except if the concurrent recordings are on the same channel. If there is another tuner available (being viewed at another location doesn't stop the tuner from being available). Fix for this is to have viewed tuner recording as well and it would force the recordings to be concurrent.

3. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Not sure I understand your answer. Basically what I am asking is if for example, I have a timer set for 1:00pm on ABC and another 1:00pm for FOX...will it use 1 tuner like PTAT or will it default to 2 tuners?

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Someone needs to test that with the new sofware that allows access to the 4 networks with one tuner outside of PTAT hours.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Sorry, I misunderstood your original post, I didn't take into account you were trying to record two of the PTAT channels. Dish had a recent software update that turns on the PTAT system without recording, in the case you are referring to, both Fox and ABC should be able to record and still have the extra time recorded making use of only one tuner. I have not tried this but is should work as expected. Let me know if it doesn't.

6. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

Cool, thanks. Getting upgraded this weekend from 1/622, 1/722 to 1 Hopper, 1 Hopper w/sling, 2 Joeys. Looking forward to playing with this.

7. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    This will use two tuners. The locals recordings will only use one tuner during the Prime Time hours with PTAT enabled.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The last time I tested I could watch as many as I wanted outside of the PTAT hours but could only record one using that tuner. If I started to record a second PTAT station it required a second tuner.

You can do concurrent recordings on the same channel outside of PTAT???

In my experience, concurrent recordings of the same channel is not possible. If one sets a "end late" timer on a show and a "start early" timer on the next show and the two shows are on the same timer the recorder ignores the early/late on each recording. No overlap ... and no way (on a Hopper system) to use two tuners and make your own overlap. (On my 622 when I had a program that I wanted to guarantee an overlapping recording I would set one timer to the real channel number and the other to the mapdown. The Hopper system does not show real channel numbers where there is a mapdown.)

9. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I tried it once on the Hopper at work after all four channels started showing during non prime time hours, I will try it again when I have time.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Watching works ... but hitting the record button on more than one show (outside of PTAT hours) burns up additional tuners.

11. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanks. That's too bad. I was more curious than anything since I rarely would record multiple Network broadcasts outside of Primetime. That being said, the capability to use only 1 tuner is clearly there. If it can do it with 1 tuner from 8-11...it should be able to use 1 tuner at other times as well. I assume it would just require a small adjustment to the timer logic.

Can I say...Feature Request? :)

12. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    It's probably being worked on.