1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

configure whole home setup? How?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by sangweb, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    I just got my whole home setup at my house and since I only have 4 receivers, the technician only setup a cross sharing meaning reciever 1 talk to 2 and 3 talk to 4, he told me it was to avoid overload of the swm splitter. Is this true? Now I want to change so all can talk to each other, how can I do this? Also the dude failed to install the Deca to my router so my receiver can access the internet. TIA.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Call DirecTv back and tell them the installer failed to finish the job, and have them schedule someone else to come finish it. That is ridiculous. All the equipment should be able to access the playlists of ALL the DVRs on your Deca Network and should be connected to the internet via your router.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    :nono:

Overload the SWM splitter? :lol:

Call D* and tell them to come fix it...

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That got to be one of the worst install stories I read on this forum. The only thing overloaded was the installer mental capacity.

5. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    Thank-you all for confirmation of my suspicion, I'am going to call the dude to come back, if not, I'll call DTV to complaint :mad:

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Need a lot more configuration details.

Short of going crazy with splitters and band stop filters, I'm not sure how he could have set it up to operate as you describe.

Also, was the broadband deca on his workorder?

7. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    I've just had a discussion with the techinician and his work order do not include the Broadband Deca, does includes DECA receivers. He told me the reason my receiver do not talk to each other was due to how they are connect on the splitter. So my recvr 1 and 2 on the same splitter while 3 & 4on the other that is why 1&2 cannot see 3&4 and vice versa, is this true? He said I should put them all on the same splitter, I think this is not true because if this is the case, how can you get 15 receivers as whole home DVR since each splitter can only limit to 8.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There is some real BS here, "but" can you post a sketch of your layout?
    There isn't really a way to have "15 receivers" all working together, but you can have 16 tuners working off a SWiM-16.

The receivers work fine off different splitters, and my system is setup this way.

Before I can give you accurate info/help, please give me an overview of what you have.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Unless he put a Band Stop Filter (BSF) up-line between the two splitters, all the receivers should be able to see each other. And in your case, it does not seem that you should have a BSF installed.

Do you actually have 3 splitters then? A single cable from the dish to a splitter and then from that splitter to two more splitters?

Give us a little more description of how your setup is connected and we can see what the installer did and what needs to be done to correct it.

- Merg

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    After thinking about it you might not want that tech back out... As others suggested try to provide some specifics of your system; how many receivers (and what model), four coaxial lines from your dish or one?, multiple dishes?, if four lines from dish do you have a SWM8(s) or SWM16?, how many splitters?, etc...

11. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    Here is summary of my setup:
    1. Slim5 Dish
    2. 4 cables connecting to SWM16 (I think)
    3. 2 SWM output to an 8 output splitters (give me total of 16 output but the technician told me I can only use 4 receivers each eventhough there are 8 output on the splitter, is this true)
    4. I have total of 6 receivers (3 HR24-100 and 1 SD HR (16-500), HR20-100s, HR20-700)
    5. as you can see, currently I only have 4 receivers connecting because the others do not work without the DECA receiver install
    6. I have 3 HR24-100 and 1 SD HR (16-500), each splitter has 2 receivers, the reason the other two (HR20) are not installed yet is because he told me they were in-compatible)

See pics of what my setup. Thx.

Attached Files:

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. something is weird here .. You say you "only have 4 receivers"

There are 8 lines connected. In your first picture each of the 2 8-way splitters have 4 lines attached. If you only have 4 receivers, you should only have a total of 4 lines.

Is it possible the tech connected 2 lines to each receiver? There should only be one.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So you have a SWiM-16, which has two output that can each support up to 8 tuners [DVR= 2 tuners].
    There is nothing there I see as to why this would be limited in any way.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. The R16-500 should have a band stop filter attached. It's a short coax wire with a small red box on it (the filter). Otherwise, it's fine for this setup. It should be @ the R16 itself so you may want to double check.

each HR24-100 should have one line connected. It sounds like there are two. The R16 should also have one line connected - again sounds like 2. The R16 will NOT see the play list at all. It is not compatible with Whole Home DVR Service in any way.

The HR20s are not directly compatible, but there is a module that can be (and should have been) connected so that it works properly.

The SWiM-16 supports 8 tuners on each output, so if you really have the six DVRs you mention, then you will max out with 4 DVRs on one and 2 on the other (or 3 on each - doesn't really matter). Each DVR will have one cable attached, so your picture should still show only 6 outputs connected - it shows 8.

The SWiM-16 also supports networking both sides of the SWiM-16 outputs. This means a DVR on output 1 can see the playlist of a DVR on output 2 with no issues. The R16 of course would not be included at all - it's not compatible with whole home DVR service.

15. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    R15-500 don't have any BSF install, according to the Tech, it is compatible with the whole home. As I stated, it only see one of my HR24-100.

Even though there are 8 installed, currently only 4 are being used, the others are there because I used to have 2 cables go into each of my DVR so he just plugs them in so he does not have to figure out which wire is live when connecting to the receivers.

I've read about this, looks like I need a DECA, BSF, & splitter to get them working

This is where I don't get, the splitter output has 8 connectins but my DVR only requires one cable each, how can I max out with 4 receivers?

This is exactly what I want to hear but the Tech guys insist that they need to be on the same splitter.

16. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    Are we suppose to do something for the receiver to see each other? Currently I have 2 HR24 see each other and the S16-500 can see the other HR24, basically it is 2 pairs I am having. How was this done? Is it suppose to done automatically?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A splitter isn't the limiting factor [like a switch is], It's the SWM that can only handle 8 "tuners", so if you connect 4 DVRs you have reached the max 8 tuner limit.
    If you only connected one DVR, you could then connect 6 "receivers" [non DVRs] since they only have one tuner.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The 24s have the DECA internally, so the other H/HR2x need to have one of these:
    [​IMG]

the HR20-100 needs this:

[​IMG]

Your "S16-500" must be an R16 and can't work as it doesn't have a network connection.

19. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    one cable off swm into the dvr handles 2 tuners.

I recall hearing of trainers telling techs this exact wrong info. anyone else remember this?

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Your earlier post said R16-500 ..

R16-500 IS compatible with SWiM

R15-500 is NOT compatible with SWiM

The R16-500 should have a band stop filter so that it doesn't interfere with your DECA connections of the DVRs.