1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Confused about antennas and local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ngse, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngse

ngse New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    I have a HD TV. The sales rep told me I should get the HD receiver, and need another antenna to get the locals (like the Terk 55, wand like).

I have 3 questions.
    Does this mean I do not need to subscribe to the local channels since I am getting it through the antenna?

I have a second TV that I hardly use. Would the antenna serve signal to the 2nd TV? THen I don't need to get a second receiver.

Is it worth getting this HD receiver? Is it that much better?
    Thanks

2. hongcho

hongcho AllStar

Mar 25, 2004
    > Does this mean I do not need to subscribe to the local channels since I am getting it through the antenna?

Yes, as long as your reception is good. Just remember that whereas other HD DirecTV receivers can tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels, HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.

> I have a second TV that I hardly use. Would the antenna serve signal to the 2nd TV? THen I don't need to get a second receiver.

With the antenna cable fed to the second TV, you will be able to watch OTA analog/NTSC channels. The quality will depend on your antenna reception.

> Is it worth getting this HD receiver? Is it that much better?

That depends. But since you have an HDTV, why wouldn't you? It would be best if your OTA digitalATSC reception is good. You'd be enjoying most of the prime time shows in HD.

Hong.

3. uwahusky

uwahusky AllStar

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes, as long as your reception is good. Just remember that whereas other HD DirecTV receivers can tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels, HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.

HOLD ON! Is this true?

I'm brand new to DirecTV and have my HDTivo on order and am awaiting it's arrival. My plan is/was to get my locals OTA so I could watch them in HD (when available) utilizing the HDTivo. Are you now telling me that's not going to happen??!!

4. sunking

sunking Godfather

Feb 17, 2004
    This is news to me as well, but it's really not a big deal. Assuming the 250 will only tune/decode HD OTA channels you can always just split the OTA and bring a wire to the 250 for HD and another to the TV antenna for analog. Of course that means no tivoing analog OTA and they won't be in the guide.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    For me, my analog OTA channels are virtually unwatchable, but their digital signals are just fine. The HDTiVo has two inputs for satellite and one OTA input, which is split internally so that you can tune two stations at the same time using the ATSC tuners. It doesn't have NTSC tuners.

See the TiVo Community HDTiVo forum for more information:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

6. jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    It is my understanding that the HD-Tivo will tune (and record) any digital OTA channel. These can be HD or SD as long as they are broadcast digitally. The HD-Tivo will not tune (or record) analog OTA because that would require a different tuner and an mpeg encoder.

7. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.
    Yes. But note he said it won't be able to tune ANALOG NTSC content. The receiver can still tune DIGITAL ATSC over-the-air content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.