1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Confused about Timers and HD??

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by nitz369, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitz369

nitz369 AllStar

Dec 15, 2005
    Okay I am confused about what types of programs I can record at one time. I am running in Single Mode. I have an OTA hooked up too.

Tonight I saw that I had two shows recording at the same time. Both were HD Locals from the Sat. I could not switch the an SD or HD channel without turning off one of the timers, BUT I could watch something from the OTA.

I thought you could:

Record 1 HD Program
    Record 1 SD Program
    Record 1 OTA Program
    All at the same time

BUT

It seems that I can Record 2 HD Programs and still watch/record OTA all at the same time.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    All tuners can record HD content. You are correct that you can record or watch three things at once. Except that you can record three things at once and watch one or two pre-recorded programs in addition.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Reiterating the above and stating slightly differently...

You can record simultaneously with a ViP622:

2 SD or HD programs from satellite
    1 SD or HD program from digital OTA

All could be HD, all could be SD, or any combination available.

You could also watch a pre-recorded program while recording those 3 different channels above. It has nothing to do with SD vs HD... has to do with 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner for 3 total tuners.

4. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004

The reason you couldn't switch to another station was because both satellite tuners were in use (recording). You could have typed in an OTA station and it should have worked (maybe you did).

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The tuner 2 input is fully capable of HD.
    The TV2 output always downconverts to NTSC, but that is independent of the input source or format.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The ViP622 has 5 independent functions - 3 record and 2 playback. All 3 record options are HD capable. TV1 output is HD; TV2 output is SD.

7. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Bringing this back from the dead. I am getting the 622 installed Sunday and was wondering if I could record 2 OTA programs at the same time regardless of what the sat is doing.

Keep in mind I'm coming from an HR20 where I can only record two things at once but they can be 2 OTA, 2 SAT or one of each.

If the 622 will only record 1 OTA program regardless, that seems a little disappointing.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    No. The 622 has 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner. It is possible to record up to 3 programs at the same time, but only one of them can be OTA.

9. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006

Huh. Not that big of a deal, just wondering why they went that route. Wouldn't be an issue at all if everyone had hd locals, but that is a good ways off.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Where "pre-recorded" includes any of the programs currently being recorded.

11. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    So you can record/watch one OTA while recording another OTA?

12. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    No. There is still only one OTA tuner. You can watch any event from the beginning while it is still recording, but the tuner is still tied up capturing that event and is not available for another.

13. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Ok, thats what I thought but the statement made me wonder.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sure... but that is limiting... You can record up to 3 simultaneous programs, using each available tuner... then you can watch an already completed recording while those 3 are being recorded.

Watching a recording that is in-progress shouldn't be a surprise feature (I would hope not anyway) since the capability to watch what you are recording is pretty much an inherent feature... The ability to watch a completely different pre-recorded program is a feature worth mentioning.

I guess where I'm going here is... it should be obvious that you can watch any channel that you are recording while the recording is in progress... but additionally you could choose to watch a completely different pre-recorded program.

(FYI, in dual mode you can watch 2 different pre-recorded programs while those 3 new ones are being recorded... so actually 5 things can be happening at the same time.)

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Possibly cost... or possibly not that high of a demand... or perhaps the processing power of the unit wouldn't support 4 simultaneous tuners going at once, which could happen if they put 2 OTA tuners in with the 2 satellite tuners.

Since they ultimately plan to have more locals in HD via satellite... I suspect it made more sense to have 2 satellite tuners and just 1 OTA to keep the overall cost of the unit down... hoping that eventually it would not matter once they got most market's locals in HD uplinked.

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    This also should be obvious... :rolleyes:
    How 'bout this one? In Dual Mode , while recording three differerent programs the two users can be watching one of those three at different points of time. :)

17. rocky01

rocky01 Mentor

Mar 19, 2005
    Can you record a HD program in SD on TV1?

Once a program's timer is given a record preference of HD can it be recorded in SD instead or does that require deleting the timer for that single event and reinstalling a HD preference timer afterwards?

This is a wish list item and perhaps likely not even a plausible thing but can a program be downconverted to NTSC by TV2 after it's recorded by TV1 in HD?

I really want more flexibility and best of resolution vs disc space options before and after setting up timers, until they give us more DVR space and offloading options that don't cost as much as say, pocket dish. :(

18. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    No, if the source is HD it is recorded in HD, no option to down rezz before recording.

19. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    And this is indepedent of which of the tuners is used. If the source is HD it is recorded in HD.

20. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You are correct, sir!

On the issue of recording more than one OTA channel, this is a receiver produced by a satellite company, the OTA tuner is a perk, most DishNetwork DVR's cannot record ANY OTA material.

If it had two OTA tuners we would want three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.