1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Confused about what I need. Please help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by pgiammat, May 4, 2013.

1. pgiammat

pgiammat New Member

May 4, 2013
    Currently we have:

- One HR20-700
    - Two HR22-100s

We have had them for a long time. When we moved (a few years ago) they were installed in a SWiM installation, but it was before they were doing the whole home DVR thing. Two of them our currently connected to the Internet through a Gigabit ethernet router and Cat6 unshielded cabling. We also have dual-band 802.11N wireless, however, I try to keep stationary devices off the wireless to avoid congestion.

I contacted DirecTV today to see about a whole home DVR setup. I seamed to remember that about a couple of years ago, it was suppose to cost about $150 for installation, plus $3 per month. When I called today, I was informed that I didn't need anything since I had SWiM and that I just had to request the service and be willing to pay the $3 per month. This didn't sound right, but anyway, we went on to talk about the Genie.

I decided to get the Genie. I was told I didn't need the Genie mini boxes as my current HD-DVRs were able to be Genie clients. I was told there was no need for an installer and that they would send me everything I needed. When I look at my order online, it includes the Genie (I am not sure which model), the Cinema Connection Kit, and a VCONWifiDeca.

- Is this everything I need?
    - Does it matter which receiver (by type or location) is the one that connects to my Internet?
    - May I connect to my Internet wired instead of wireless with what they are sending me?
    - Is there more (or different) equipment I need?

I am usually quite good and this type of thing and I tried reading various threads related to the whole home DVR, SWiM, DECA and Genie, but just found myself even more confused on what I need.

I thank you for any guidance you are able to provide.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You will need a swim 16. . . each HR2x is 2 tuners, genie is 5. You probably have a SWiM LNB that can handle 8 tuners max.

It has 1 coax from the dish LNB to splitters to each HR2x. It needs to be changed to a new LNB and 4 coax from the dish to the SWiM 16. Then to your existing splitters and a new feed to your new genie.

If you don't already have a deca on each HR2x, you'll need them. The genie network connection can replace a CCK if you can get Ethernet to it. Otherwise, you'll need a cck or WCCK (wireless) to connect the coax DECA cloud back to your router.

3. pgiammat

pgiammat New Member

May 4, 2013
    dennisj00,

Thank you for the information.

As I am not currently at home, I can not check, but I originally had 4 HD-DVRs hooked up (shut one off last year), with two tuners a piece, and do believe there is only one coax coming from the satellite (could be two but definitely not four) so I am guessing you are right about my LNB being 8 max.

If I don't want to get into running more coax cables from the dish, may I just disable one of the tuners on one of the HD-DVRs? (So I would have the Genie with 5 - which is replacing one of the HD-DVRs, one HD-DVR with two tuners activated and the other HD-DVR with just one tuner activated? Also, if I was to eventually add one Genie mini to another room, am I right in thinking since it doesn't have a tuner, it won't effect my SWiM setup?

Also, I do not have DECA on my existing HD-DVRs. I didn't see any mentioned in the order. Will they supply me with them? Do I have to ask? I believe the Genie does not need one – Is that correct?

Also, on the existing HD-DVRs, do I still use the band stop converters of do the DECA modules include that?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

4. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It appears to me that the story they gave you isn't true. The WHDS feature alone is typically something they won't set up without a truck roll (unless you explicitly demand "unsupported" WHDS).

Tell the CSR only what your goal is (adding WHDS and/or a Genie). Any additional details you offer (specifically your network setup and your associated theories about it) may confuse the CSR and elicit another misleading answer.

6. pgiammat

pgiammat New Member

May 4, 2013
    Thanks for your replies.

When I get home, later today, I will check my setup and then contact DirecTV.

When I contacted DirecTV, it was to enquire about multi-room viewing and to discuss my options of doing so with my current equipment or by going with a Genie (i.e. prices, benefits of one over the other). I never offered the CSR any details about my setup (nor was I asked) other than to explain that my installation was SWM, but was done awhile before multi-room viewing was rolled out and that it was my understanding that I would need some additional equipment for MRV. Also I never requested a self install. I was told the Genie was a self install, and that they would send me the equipment.

What I should have done is visit DBSTalk first to get my facts correct. But even though it's after the fact now, at least I now have a clear picture of how this all comes together, thanks to the expertise of the members on this board.

I really appreciate the assistance!

Thanks!