1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused After Service Call

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by max190, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Called DTV 8/16/07 for dish alignment after severe storm with winds gusting to 70 mph. Signal levels were lower than usual on 101, but in the 40s and 50s on the other Sats.
    The 1st available date for the service was 8/20/07

Before the service tech came out things started going downhill. Lost all odd transponders on 101 on all receivers (I have (3) D12's and (1) H20), and lost HD on the H20.
    I thought maybe I had a bad LNB, cable, or a bad switch (WB68)

The service tech comes out and re-aligns the dish, and then checks the cables going into the switch. He says (1) of them are bad. He also says that I do not need the WB68 since I have only (4) drops.
    So he disconnects the switch and installs a SAM3402 (3x4). He comes back upstairs and resets the H20 and everything comes up (HD also) with all my signals in the 90s. I check the other TVs and they are working perfect.

After he left I go downstairs and see that he did not fix the bad cable coming from the dish. It is disconnected and coiled up. :confused:

On the 3x4 switch he connected (2) cables (13v & 18v) from the dish to the input side, and my (3) D12s on the output side. The 3rd cable from the dish is directly connected to the cable that feeds the H20.

My question is what am I loosing since everthing seems to work by not having that bad cable hooked up?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    What that tech did will end up screwing you over once the new HD channels start broadcasting. While it's true you didn't need a multiswitch if you weren't using more than the 4 lines from the sat, the SAM3402 that the tech installed is NOT compatible with the signals that the new sat will be broadcasting in a few weeks time. You absolutely need to have that 4th line from the dish fixed.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    He was correct in that you don't need a multiswitch, but then he went ahead and installed one anyway, and it's the wrong one. The one he installed is for the older dish, if your dish is only looking at 1 satellite (101). Did he leave you the WB68? You don't need it for what you currently have; you can run direct lines from the dish, but if you ever add another receiver, the switch will be required.
    Basically though, you're only getting a signal from the 101 satellite, and not the other 4.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You get a free service call and I'd call them back to do what he should have done. Replace the bad coax cable from the dish and install the WB68.
    Your H20 since it's connected straight to the dish will give you all of the channels [now and coming]. but I think you may be missing some off your other SD receivers.
    The "bottom line" is your installer took the easy way out and actually degraded the system you had instead of repairing it as he should have done.

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Man.... what's with all of the confusion about multi switches suddenly on D*s/tech side. :eek2: :confused: :nono2:
    MPEG4 and the WB68 info has been out for over a year now. WOW..........

6. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Instead of calling DTV back, I am going to call the service provider and ask to speak to a supervisor. I will warm his head up a little bit ;)

Thanks to all who responded.

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    No matter how nice or mean ;) you are, there is a good chance they won't come back out without a work order from D*.

Good Luck though, let us know how it turns out.

8. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Heres the latest...
    I thought I would call my service provider (Premier Communications) first before calling DTV.

Long story short after talking to the CSR, she conferenced me in with the service supervisor. I told him the service his techs provide is unacceptable and explained what the guy did. My system was installed on 7/14/07 and I have had (4) service calls to fix what the last guy did since then. :rolleyes:

I said I was going to call DTV and request a new service provider. Well he got all scared and said you do not want to do that. I also said if I call DTV and complain they will NOT get paid for the service call which I believe is $75.00.

He said that he will personally come out 1st thing tomorrow and make everything right. I said no. I cannot take off work again. So we agreed on Saturday morning.

Will update after the call...

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Good luck, keep us up to date!

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    100% correct that the 3x4 is the wrong switch. Not only that, but if there is going to be a switch used with the 5 LNB dish, all four cables from the dish must be connected to the switch. You cannot run one dedicated line straight to a receiver, then connect the other three (or worse, one or two!) to the switch.

I would ask to have the WB68 reinstalled and make sure all four cables from the dish are connected to the switch. The run to your receivers from there.

11. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Supervisor never showed up or even called :mad:
    He said he would come out in the morning between 8 and 12PM.

I called Premier at 12:30 and they conf me with the CSR in my local area office. She told me she contacted him, and that he would call me in 15 min. If he does not call, I was to call her back. I waited 30 minutes. No call. So I call her back and guess what, shes at lunch :rolleyes:

Now I call DTV and explain the whole situation. I ask if I can change service providers. DTV said Premier Communications is the only provider that they use in St. Louis, Mo. So I ask to speak to a manager.

Dustin wrote up a report on Premier, and told me to find a local Sat provider. Dustin noted in the report that DTV will credit my acct after I send in a copy of my check and work order.

My phone calls started yesterday at 12:30, and ended at 4:30. I wasted the whole afternoon trying to get my system serviced.

So now I am going to start calling around for somebody who knows how to work on my system. If anybody knows a good installer in St. Louis, could you please let me know. I would appreciate it.

A word of WARNING to anybody in St. Louis who is signing up with DTV. You will get Premier Communications. The installers do shoddy work, and the the supervisor cannot be trusted.

12. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Used to that A1-Antenna handled and installed D* equipment, they are family owned and did a good job. The are located over on Watson Road across from Kennrick Plaza.

I can concur with you on Premier had an issue with them also. Was supposed to get a new dish installed with a 8-12 Saturday appt, at 12:30 I called asking why I had heard nothing, D* conferenced them in and we where told that the installer was finishing up the last job and would call with in 30 mins - at 3:30 no call, contacted Premier and the person told me the installer up and quit on friday! Curious how the instlaler quit on friday but on the earlier call they where finishing up a previous install....

13. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    wingrider01,

Thanks for the heads up on A1-Antenna. I am going to give them a call. I like the idea that they are a family owned company.

"I can concur with you on Premier had an issue with them also. Was supposed to get a new dish installed with a 8-12 Saturday appt, at 12:30 I called asking why I had heard nothing, D* conferenced them in and we where told that the installer was finishing up the last job and would call with in 30 mins - at 3:30 no call, contacted Premier and the person told me the installer up and quit on friday! Curious how the instlaler quit on friday but on the earlier call they where finishing up a previous install"....

They cannot be trusted. I hope they go out of business.

14. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    It depends on who you order your system from whether you get Premier. Many of the national sales companies use other installers.

15. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    The are the only game in town if you go through D*

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Welcome to the land of the Home Service Provider (HSP,)

The tech made a decision. Either do it right, spend some time and fix it.....but be back charged for being late for another appointment OR get it working and move on. His production sheet probably looked great.

Been there,

Joe

17. max190

max190 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Called A-1 Antenna today (thanks to wingrider01 for the tip) and scheduled a service call with them. After explaining to him my situation, he basically came back with the same reponses I received here.

I hope I am not out of line here posting this but they charge $59.00 to come out, $65.00 per hour, plus materials.

The guy knew all about Premier Comm. He said alot of his business is going in behind them to fix problems...

18. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007

fair pricing

19. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Maybe, but still no excuse for shoddy workmanship, they must really have low self-esteem to work this way. Making yourself look good in this method comes back to bite you in the end - have little issue with filing a complaint against the installer to his employer, to D* and to the BBB.

Maybe they should look for alternate employement, but then again not sure I would even want to have them serve me if they are flipping burgers, might get food poisoning or worse.

If you are paid to do a job, do it right, or find some other line of employement

20. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    They are about on par with everyone else, but they do stand behind their work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.