1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused on what's needed for HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crawdad62, Oct 26, 2012.

1. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    As of right now I have 2 HR24 DVR's and a H25 receiver so I assume I have a SWiM 8 installed. We're just finishing up building a bonus room that I want another DVR for. Since I just had equipment added in January I don't qualify for any discounts from D* so to do so I'll have to pay full for whatever I get. Now if I get another HR24 I should be good to go since I'll be at 7 on the SWiM but I may spring and get a HR34 which will take it to 10 so I'll be over what my present SWiM is capable of. Other than getting a SWiM 16 is there anything else I need? I figure if I could order from D* they'd know what I need but since I can't order a HR34 from their site I'll have to go elsewhere.

Thanks.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you place the order from DirecTV, they will include the installation as part of your order. There is a chance they might charge you $50 for the tech coming out though.

In your case, the SWM-LNB on your dish would need to be replaced with a legacy LNB. You would have 3 additional coaxes run down from the dish. Where you most likely have your splitter where the one coax now comes into the house, you would replace that with the SWM16. You could then hook the splitter you currently have to one of the SWM16 outputs and the HR34 could be directly attached to the other SWM16 output.

If you purchase the HR34 from a retailer, you would most likely need to perform the installation yourself, have a professional installer come out and do the installation, or you might be able to have DirecTV come out and do the installation.

If you do the installation or have a professional come out and do it, you would also need to pay for the equipment, for which a SWM16 alone is $280. If you have DirecTV come out for the installation, you might just need to pay somewhere in the range of $50-$100 for the visit and install, but DirecTV usually covers the cost of the equipment.

- Merg

3. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    So I need three coax cables from the dish? Rat's that's probably a deal breaker. I actually have two since it was installed since the dish was put in before the SWiM's. I don't really want to trench in another cable. I'll probably just get another HR24 and be done with it.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you indeed have two cables already running from the dish, what Merg described can still be done.

The SWiM-16 may be mounted outside near the dish with four short cables feeding it. Then the two trenched cables to the home already laid may be connected to the SWiM-16's two outputs and a PI located somewhere inside the home on the SWM-1/PWR coax leg.

5. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Would you being willing to swap one of the existing HR24's with the HR34? Then you wouldn't need to do anything special. Just a thought.

6. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    No I don't think so. Here's what I've got and what I want. Right now I have one DVR in the family room, one in the master bedroom. I have a receiver in my daughter's room and one receiver in another bedroom that doesn't get used. I planned on moving one of the DVR's to the new room and the receiver from the unused room to the master bedroom since it's on Whole Home anyway and we don't specifically need a DVR there. In fact I did just that and last night my wife found a short coming I forgot about... we can't pause live TV with the receiver. So my thought was just replace the receiver with another DVR and I thought since I have to buy it anyway I'd get the HR34 but that looks like a lot of work. I think I'll just add the HR24 and lose the receiver.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Again, if you already have two cables running to the home as a holdover from your pre-SWiM installation, it shouldn't be much trouble adding an HR34 to your setup with the SWiM-16 module mounted outside somewhere near the dish.

Then the two lines connected to the SWiM-16 at the dish to the home may feed all the receivers as I posted earlier.

But its up to you if you want to scrap the HR34 idea ...

8. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    But if you swap an HR24 with a genie you could also swap the 2 receivers (H25s?) with mini clients, making your total tuner count only 7, thus being able to keep your existing SWiM 8 AND also having basically a DVR at every location, which supports the wife wanting pause (i.e. - Trick Play) at every TV. That's what I have now and when momma's happy, everyone's happy! ;)