1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused over requirements for HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by TXK9Trainer, Sep 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TXK9Trainer

TXK9Trainer New Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I feel pretty stupid, but I am so confused about HD programming. We are LONG time Dish subscribers (from the day the service became available in the greater Washington DC area) and have always run a simple setup. America's Top 200 and Superstations package. A single receiver, a single TV. Dish gets sats 110 and 119 - the dish itself is probably 10 or more years old. Purchased, not leased, equipment. Installed and setup by myself.

My old receiver died last week, and I upgraded to a 612 receiver. My husband got excited, because it is our first HD receiver, and it should allow him to get HD on his big screen TV.

We don't seem to get HD (although I wouldn't know, since I watch little TV and it all looks the same to me.) I just did a chat with Dish customer service, and he told me we would get HD for free, no charge to turn it on, but we HAVE to get sats 110, 119 and 129 before he can turn it on. He wanted to send a technician to do that, but I don't have the right equipment at this point and I really don't want to pay somebody to do things I can do myself. I have installed every dish from day 1 without problems.

So here are my questions:
    • Did the CSR tell me the truth about free HD, or am I going to get hit with yet more fees?
    • Does Dish have to turn on HD programming for us to get it, even if we have activated a HD receiver? (If I am already getting HD programing on the stations that are broadcast in HD, I am hugely disappointed.)
    If HD does indeed have to be turned on:
    • Do we really have to get all three sats to get the HD turned on?
    • What is on sat 129 that we are not getting now? As best I can see from the Uplink Activity site, the only stations on that Sat are a bunch of locals that I truly do NOT care about. If that is the case, why do I have to spend the money to buy a new dish and take time to setup/aim the Dish, just to get stations I don't want, so I can get HD?
    I know these are probably simple questions, but I am looking forward to the expert advise of the folks here.

Thanks.

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    Chances are he will add the HD Free tag to your account. We do have to turn on HD programming for you to get it.

Satellite 129 has the majority of HD channels and it would be needed to have HD. We have many channels in HD.

Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN so I can assist you further.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    MattG just gave good answers, hopefully you're able to get in touch with him and sort things out so you can soon be enjoying some HD!

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    For now, with that original dish500 - you have about 3-4 HD channels (not many, IOW). You may also have some of your local stations in HD on 110, so calling into Dish and asking for the HD Free for Life (as long as you maintain an active account) will get you some, but not all. They should also be able to schedule a tech to come out and install a dish that can get all the HD (you may want to add the Dish protection plan for 6 months to help lower the upfront cost).

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    The CSR was correct on all answers. Now there's a sentence I never thought I would say.... :)

MattG is a DISH rep and can give you the best help.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I'm not sure if you would be getting any HD channels if they haven't been turned on except for maybe promo channels of any that may be in Free Preview. Usually you have have your locals in HD, but they seem to be only on 61.5 which you do not have. Chances are Dish would have to switch out your dish for an EA one. Since locals are involved, Dish would probably not charge you to swich out your existing dish.

7. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    A note that no one else has made is you can't get HD programming off a coax connection. HD is delivered from the receiver to the TV over a HDMI cable or 5 Component cables. Just turning on the HD signal won't get it for you the TV also needs to be HD capable.

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    You'll need 2 things, well possibly 3 or 4, but lets start w/ the 2 things u gotta have.
    - a 2nd dish to aim at 129 - the caveat to that would be 129 is very low in the sky so you can't have any trees in the way to see it. If you cant tune it in, 72.7 is your alternative.
    - secondly you'll need a switch: DP34, DP33, DPP44, You may be able to avoid this purchase IF your existing Dish500 has an 'input' on it, if it does, than u can simply connect the 129 to it, after u peak the signal. That is contingent on what LNB you have on the dish500. If you have a legacy LNB than you will also need a new LNB, an u subsequently may have a SW21 switch which would need to be removed. Without knowning what equip. u have, hard to say exactly what u need. The LNB needs to be DP (DishPro), are they still calling it DishPro these days?

If you want local channels in HD, you'll need another dish aimed at 61.5 which is where the DC locals are in HD, and you'll need the DPP44 (or equivalent) in order combine all 4 signals. There is a work around for HD locals, I do believe the vip612 has an OFF AIR input/tuner built in (someone please correct me if Im wrong), so if you still have a roof ANT, or other device for picking up off air signals, run a cable to that input on the DVR and viola, HD locals will appear, assuming u can pick them up w/ reasonably good signal from the ANT depending on where you live in the metro. Well its not quite that simple, you'll need togo into the setup of the 612 and 'scan for locals'.

Another option would be to simply replace the dish500 with a 1000.4 dish and aim that to the SATs in the east: 61.5, 72.7, 77. The new dish should come w/ a LNB an you wouldn't need a switch.

9. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Actually, unless you have international channels, 77 would not be needed. Dish has a dish for just 61.5 and 72 sats and would be all that is needed.

1 person likes this.