1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion! Clarification pls

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by chirkut123, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chirkut123

chirkut123 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    After being more or less a happy camper with Dish since 99, I finally decided to upgrade my 6000 with the new beast ViP622. Lately I have been reading these forums a lot and found many things have changed with dish- PVR, DVR, Dish Pro, Pro Plus, new fees per receiver, per outlet, no phone line fees....

I ordered the upgrade package a couple of days ago. My install date is May 20th. It is not clear to me what is included in the *shipment*

Based on all the reading I did, and my current setup, which is Dish 500 twin LNB (non-pro) for 119, 110, and another Dish500 with single LNB (non-pro) with switch-21 powers 6000, two other receivers 3500, 3900. 6000 sees everything, 3900 gets just 199 and 100, while 3500 gets only 61.5.

From what I gathered, I believe I need:
    - Dish 1000 (for 3 birds)
    - DPP44 (I need to keep 61.5 or 148, and I want to keep a single cable to 622)
    - ViP622 receiver, along with separator, and power inserter

Now, my questions-
    1) Is all of the above included in the shipment?
    2) If not, do I expect the installer to bring the rest? Any tips on who I should call up to have them include everything in the 1st shipment, so that I do not have to wait for the installer. I do plan to go ahead and do the install myself as soon as I have the equipment.
    3) I want to hookup the 2nd TV outlet from ViP622 to another room that has a non-HD TV. What is the best way or available options?
    4) Could the non-pro LNB on the second Dish 500 be a problem?
    5) Am I missing something altogether?

Sorry for the long post, that too when it is my very 1st one. But I wanted to provide all the info to you guys that I thought would be useful for you in giving your insight.

Thanks!

2. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    your receiver will be shipped.

The installer will provide everything else needed to complete your install.

and you needing 61.5 or 148 is different from wanting it. Why do you NEED it?

3. chirkut123

chirkut123 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    BFG, Thanks for your prompt response.
    It is because I need to keep the programming on those birds. I do not have any other choice.

4. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    If it is second dish locals, they wont be there after 5/5 or earlier.

but you say either 61.5 or 148 would work so i'm think it's something other. And if you can get 61.5 then just do a 2 dish install and the dish 1000 and 129 cause if you get 61.5 you wont need 129

5. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Yea, what programming are you looking for from the Wing?

Hmmm, a person is all ready getting an out-of-market wing CBS-HD, can Dish provide the LA feed from 129 instead?

Now, how many receivers are you ultimately keeping. If you end up with more then two receivers, some kind of external switch is needed (Dish 1000 can handle two dual-tuner boxes).

Most likely they will have to give you a DPP44. The wing will need a new LNB. If Dish refuses (because you don't really NEED it), make sure they leave the dish and wiring, and you can find a DishPro LNB for $50.

There have been some reports that DPP44s are harder to find then 622's. Perhaps that's why your install is a month out.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No! At most you may receive the ViP622 itself shipped direct. All other goodies should come with the smiling professional installer.
    They don't ship dishes and switches to end customers, so it probably won't do you any good.
    If you are bound and determined to self-install, you'll probably have to buy everything outright. The lease terms require "professional installation".
    RG6 is better than RG59. You could set up something more complex, but it would likely be more difficult to use and wouldn't necessarily result in a higher quality picture
    Not if you can demonstrate that you qualify for having the extra antenna. "I simply must have it!" probably isn't sufficient to qualify. If you feel that strongly, you should ensure that you subscribe to something exclusively on 148 before or when you order the ViP622. You can also purchase a compatible LNB and install it yourself for a reasonable price.

7. David_Levin

Apr 22, 2002
    You can call and verify what you expect to have after the install.

After ordering my 622 upgrade a 2nd call revealed that the first CSR hadn't put the Dish1000 on the order (maybe because I already had 61.5, but I wanted the Denver HD locals).

If they come out and it's not on the order, they are not gonna do it (including a 2nd TV install).

8. hdaddikt

hdaddikt Legend

Jul 2, 2005
    It varies. The CSR I talked to did put the 1000 on my order to replace the 2 dishes I have now. But even though the tech showed up with the 1000 on his truck, he agreed with me to keep the 2 dishes and change out for the dual LNB on the 110/119 dish. Glad I did. Excellent signal strength from all 3.

9. David_Levin

Apr 22, 2002
    hdakkikt:
    (why did you have to replace the Dish 500 LNB)?

Sure, but you paid for the 1000.

I had a Dish 500 & both wings and certainly could have reaimed one wing to 129. But I told the tech to install the 1000 and leave both wings in place (with one disconnected.)

Now, if the 129 signal on the 1000 is too weak, I can still reaim the wing. But, this gives me the option of removing the wing and just using the 1000 (which will certainly do the job once a new bird get to 129).

10. madbrain

madbrain Legend

Dec 10, 2004
    International programming is only on 61.5 on 148, so if you have any, you need to keep it.

My installer wanted to just repoint my Dish 500 at 148 dish to 129 because a separate dish will get better signal. Then I would have been left with my old DP34 also.

I told him not to do that, and to get me the DPP44, leave the 148 dish in place, and replace the Dish 500 with Dish 1000.

It's true that the signal at 129 is not the best on the Dish 1000, but it is good enough so far.

11. Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga Legend

Jan 25, 2005
    What programing are you geting on 61.5?

12. chirkut123

chirkut123 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    The programming I am getting off of 61.5 is International Programming as 'madbrain' correctly pointed out.

I called up dish again, this time tech support for HD. I was told that they will ship just the receiver directly to me. She also confirmed that the installer will bring the DPP44, and Dish 1000, which is in the order. I believe she looked at the notes because she told me "when they come to do the install on May 20th".

Regarding replacement of the LNB on the second Dish 500 for the 61.5, I hope they should replace it as well without extra charge.

I currently have 3 receivers. Once of them is getting replaced. I plan to keep other two ON. It means I'll now have upto 4 rooms operational. Though, I haven't bought the 4th TV yet!

13. hdaddikt

hdaddikt Legend

Jul 2, 2005
    I only paid $299 for the upgrade to a 622, nothing extra for the 1000 (if I wanted it). Why would I pay for a compromise anyway? (In our location, peaking for just an adequate signal on 129 sacrifices signal strength for 119.)

My two 500's give me great signal strength across all 3 birds. Tech replaced the 110/119 with the DPP dual LNB that has the extra output needed instead of using a DPP44.

14. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    There is no DPP dual. What you got is called a DPP Twin.

15. hdaddikt

hdaddikt Legend

Jul 2, 2005
    Thanks for the clarification. A long way from the tech just calling it a 'lens'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.