1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Congress to Tell TelCo Crammers to Cram it.

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by SayWhat?, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...make-millions-from-cramming-fees-senator-says

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A lot of those fee additions are government. Think one is so old, it can trace back to the Spanish-American War.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    They will find a way to replace the lost revenue just like the banks have after credit card regulations went into effect.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It doesn't mean we should swallow the fee now !

Keep scrutinized them all the time !

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually many of the fees that "appear to be" government are labeled that way solely to look like government. They really aren't.

Like "federal paperwork recovery fee". Bogus, it is just a fee to offset their government paperwork they've had to file for 50 years and now they want to break that out--for more money.

The details won't bother them, as people notice the total cost, they will switch to other providers.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And the charges being discussed are not government fees nor fake government fees.

They are fees for services that were not requested.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When I had AT*T, they used to do that to me at least every other month. They refused to block people from adding charges to my phone, so I solved it myself, I signed up for Vonage, had them transfer my number, and once transferred, told AT*T what they could do with THEIR bill as well as the charges they added to it. Will not ever have a phone again while anyone can add charges to it without my permission.