1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecticut PBS SL's...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mike Bertelson, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Is anyone having problems recording from Connecticut Public Television (CPTV)?

I’ve trying to record “This Old House” and “Ask This Old House” but I always run into problems.

My issues....
    • Missing the recording without a history entry.
    • Missing a recording with a history entry saying there has been some kind of programming change.
    • Recording of “This Old House” but it actually records “Ask This Old House” and vice versa.
    • Recording of some other random program on either of these SLs.
    This has always been a problem since our PBS went HD.

I’ve even run into inconsistencies in CPTV’s SD/HD lineups on their website. I suspect that’s where the real problems lies; especially considering I don’t have a single SL issue on any other LiL channel.

I have had some issues recently with one SL on the History Channel but in reality these are so rare that I really think the problem lies with how CPTV reports their daily lineups to what ever clearing house Tribune gets their data from. Heck, for all I know it might come through PBS for all markets.

Anyone else in CT having issues with their CPTV SL's?

Mike

2. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Which of the four CPTV channels are you trying to record? I live in Rhode Island so we get WEDN ch 53 CPTV. I've been able to successfully record shows like Masterpiece Theater, Agatha Christie's Garden, et al, and keep them on the dvr for weeks but those have been one-time only recordings and not entire series. I haven't encountered any "record one thing and get something completely different" yet but I'm also only viewing the HD's and hiding the SD duplicates in the guide. I don't think I've encountered any channels when looking at the full online Directv.com guide that showed different programs on the SD/HD channels. BTW, what is an SL?

3. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    It's channel 53. It's the only PBS station I get from DirecTV.

I have no problems recording individual shows. It's the SL's that don't seem to work very well.

Mike

4. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    FWIW, I've had the same problems with both WV PBS over air, and now with WQED out of Pittsburgh through DirecTV. In either case even with S/L set to record all with duplicates it rarely records unless I go through the guide and select each show for each day (kid shows for my twins).

Another poster here contacted the local PBS station (WV PBS in Morgantown) and they would work with their service provider on guide data, but it did not help much if at all. At the end of the day I think much of the issue is the company PBS selected on a national basis to provide guide data is either being fed bad/incomplete data by PBS or not passing it along in a manner that works well with DirecTV.

5. ct_vt_trekker

ct_vt_trekker New Member

May 31, 2008

6. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's what I've found too. I think the source of the problem is PBS itself. When ever I compare the guide to what's listed on CPTV's website they have always matched and yet what actually airs it sometimes quite different. I don't get it. :shrug:

Mike