1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DECA to router

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by quick99, May 14, 2010.

1. quick99

quick99 Cool Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I have my install on Monday and am curious about getting my network router connected to DECA so I can still access on demand.

Does this need to be connected where the SWM and what not is mounted or can it be connected anywhere one of the cables is running?

What I would like to do is just take the ethernet cable I currently have plugged into the back of my HR20 and use that to plug into DECA, would that work?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The installer may insist on installing it near your router, but really, if you have a network cable from your router out to your entertainment center (for example), you could plug the broadband connection in there and just split the SWiM line .. one to broadband DECA, one to receiver (with DECA if necessary).

The broadband DECA requires a power inverter regardless.

3. quick99

quick99 Cool Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Does it make a difference if the line is split or not? I already have 2 cables running to that HR20 (now SWM yet).

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have one of my DECA adapters plugged into my eithernet cable from my router. On Demand and TV apps work fine on all receivers but media share does not. Not a big deal because I seldom use media share.

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    No, it doesn't matter where the line is split. As long as both cables are connected to a splitter once the SWiM is installed, you're good. There could be an extra splitter near the receiver, and you would use short coax cables to the receiver and to the broadband DECA, or you could make sure both of the long cables are connected to a splitter closer to the SWiM.