1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting different rooms off of 2lnb RCA dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by minnhawk, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1 of 10
    minnhawk

minnhawk Cool Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Again, thanks to all for advice on my original question concerning setting up DTV at the place up north with an 18" round dish. It works fine.

Next question: I have an extra receiver given to me by the guy who came out and helped. (I have not yet called DTV about the serial number or the card) When we wired the house, there are seven different rooms connected by RG6 cable to the junction box in the utility room. I have two feeds from the dish. I would like to joint all seven together (or three and four) and just move the receivers around the house when I want to view in one of the locations. Right now I am limited to two places -- if I want to change locations, I have to go down to the junction box and change one of the two inputs from the satellite to a different cable. Is there a fairly simple way to avoid having to physically change the connections in the junction box? I was told on this forum that splitters are a "no no" with the 18" dish and a d-12 receiver. Any ideas? Sure enjoyed that Vikings game - sorry Giants fans for that one.

2. Jan 4, 2010 #2 of 10
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Yes, it's called a multiswitch, in your case, a 3x8 will do. The two cables from the dish (actually there should be a grounding block en route) go into the multiswitch SAT inputs. The switch has 8 outputs that you can hook to your feed lines. Make sure that each room feed goes directly to its outlet, no splitters anywhere.

If you can't find a 3x8 then a 5x8 will also work. Just make sure it's a Directv type switch and not something else. They're fairly inexpensive, you might even find someone that will give you an old one since they're obsolete now.

Keith

3. Jan 4, 2010 #3 of 10
  4. Jan 4, 2010 #4 of 10
    minnhawk

minnhawk Cool Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Wow! Now that's what I call really good and quick help! Thanks to you both for the info. Headed for -25 below again tonight, hopes the car starts again tomorrow. (plugged in the block heater again)

5. minnhawk

minnhawk Cool Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Multiswitch installed and works great. I'll be back when I attempt to have DTV out in the shop (about 100 feet away)..any wireless solutions at this point?

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No such thing as a wireless solution.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Sure there is but in many cases it isn't a solution. There are video senders that transmit the output of the satellite receiver to a receiving unit and that plugs into your TV. Many won't have the range you want or are prone to interference.:)

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    An 18" dish is only about $30. Just install at your shop and enjoy.

9. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    Yeah, Directv is a wireless solution. They don't care if you add an extra dish on an outbuilding as long as it's the same address.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Let me clarify: no such thing as a wireless solution between the receiver and the dish.