1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting HD21's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WhiteMask, Aug 19, 2012.

1. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Here's my objective. Having read DBS for hours lately, I have decided to put external drives on my Hr21-100 and Hr21-700 DVR's. I would also like to share the playlists from these separate DVRs. The receivers are in 2 different rooms and do not have a hard wired cat5 connection available to my home network. Here are my questions for which I would be grateful to receive answers:
    1. Can I connect my hr 21 to my network using a wireless transmitter/receiver like I use to get VUDU signals to my old VUDU box?

2. If so, what do you reccommend for hardware to do this wireless connection?(I believe I did use the vudu device with the HR21 and it saw my network)

3. Can I do the same thing with the 21-700 on the other room?

4. Once on my network, will they see each other and be ready for MRV.

5 Will the external drive work with MRV - since they replace the internal, I'm guessing no problem.

I have 2 antenna leads from my 5 lnb hardwired to each receiver and feeding the tuners.

I appreciate any guidance or experience that might help me accomplish my objectives. Thanks

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This may get complicated to explain.
    My first recommendation, go here and look and read:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200573

What you are asking for is an "unsupported" Option. You really want a supported one, known as WHDVR (aka MRV) with DECA. For this you need a SWiM setup.

That means all the connections between DVR's are via the Coax. No separate coax, cat5 or wireless needed.

I recommend taking your 4 wires from the LNB, connecting them to a SWiM8, getting two DECA boxes, one for each receiver and you will be a very happy camper. Wireless between boxes has never been flawless. Also Directv will come out and do this in some manner but there may or may not be a charge. Give them a call.

BTW, the external 2TB drives will be viewable from the other box with WHDVR service.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    YOu can network them anyway you want, but wireless is iffy at best. MRV is a $3 per moth charge that you have to call and get enabled for you to be able to use it after they are networked. I highly recommend you either go hard-wired or call and have D* come out and install the DECA connections so you have a fully support by DIrectv system.

4. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NR4P -
    Many thanks for your comments and other resources. Might I pick your brain a bit more. If I am correct, the four cables from the 5 lnb (which are in my utility closet) are attached to the SWiM 8. One cable of the two cables now going to to each deck is attched to outputs on the SWim 8? Since my router/switch is in the same closet is a DECA box attached to it and the SWiM 8? At the receivers, what about the b-band filters? Do I use only the one wir from the SWiM 8 going into a DECA with a coax output to tuner 2 and a network cable to the cat 5 jack on the receiver?

Is there anything else such as a power supply for the antenna needed? Where does it go?

Wow - a lot of questions! Thanks for your patience.

Jim

5. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    CCarcoss -

Thanks for your advice. If each deck had a cat5 directly from my router/swith, wouild that eliminate the need for SWiM and DECA? Not sure I can do this but it would be good info to have.

Jim

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The SWM and DECA is really the optimum way to go if you want whole-home/MRV. If you get a good wired connection to your LAN from each DVR, that will also work, but the downside is it puts your MRV traffic on your LAN, whereas the DECA solution keeps it within the DECA cloud and does not appear on your LAN.

Many users here have indicated better overall results using DECA than wired ethernet, however there are also many who are fully satisfied with an ethernet solution.

The beauty of DECA is you don't have to worry about getting wire to each receiver location, it is done over the coax.

To your other questions - you can either have an SWM LNB in the dish, or you can use an external SWM8 multiswitch (to go to SWM). With two DVRs, the LNB is the preferred solution. You would have a single coax from the dish to someplace. At that someplace you would probably place a power inserter and a splitter. From the splitter you would have a coax to each DVR, and you would have a coax to a cinema-connection kit (CCK) which would bridge your DECA cloud to your LAN (for on-demand, trouble reporting, etc.)

Each of your DVRs would have a DECA adapter at it, but you would remove the B-band converters, they are not used with SWM. The DECA adapter would have the incoming coax connected to it, a coax pigtail to your DVR (tuner 1/SWM), and an ethernet pigtal to the ethernet port on your DVR. Note that the newer model, HR24, DVRs have this functionality integrated and do not need the external DECA module.

The power inserter can actually go almost anyplace (at either receiver location, or somewhere else), as long as you can get coax to it.

Also worth noting, all of the newest equipment being produced, including the H25 receiver and the HR34 home media center, are SWM only. They cannot be used on the older "multiswitch" type dish/LNB. So as you go forward, at some point in time you will end up needing SWM anyway.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yes, but also remember that D* considers that unsupported and will give you no assistance should you have trouble with it. Either way you HAVE to pay the $3 per month for MRV. The only difference between the two is you may have to pay to have your system upgraded to a DECA/SWiM install

8. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Carl -

Great information. If the SWM lnb is not an option, is it place the four antenna leads on the input side (?) of the SWiM 8. Then 3 coax cables out of the SWim 8, one to each receiver and one to a CCK? What about the PS? The receivers are handled the same in either case, right? This is moving towards the simplest for me.

Jim

9. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks, C* -

Having to pay for MRV is not an issue. As an electronic equipment , etc. layperson, I am puzzled how the receivers can differentiate between an ethernet feed coming directly from the router or from a DECA. It would seem that the info coming out of the connection is the same. Perhaps not? I'm further puzzled that, if all of the wiring and equipment needed as described in Carl's response could be replaced by a simple cat5 to each receiver from the router/switch, this wouldn't be the best approach. Wires don't fail often, but with the assorted DECA's, cck, SWiM 8 all with their own chance to fail, a simple wire seems best. I'm probably missing something, right?

Jim

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    A wire to the router will work but as pointed out earlier, you now have WHDVR service sharing the same home network. If someone else is downloading something big or streaming netflix, it is the same network as the WHDVR and there will be degraded service for someone.

By using DECA, you a creating a separate sub-network for just WHDVR between receivers.

By the time you purchase a SWM8, and DECA boxes, and green label approved splitters, you will spend well over $100. Many get Directv to come out and do this for $49 flat fee or less. And it doesn't extend or start a contract since you have boxes taht support this. I suggest that route.

11. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    OK, I have managed to get cat5 cables to my 2 HR 21s. I called D* and they said I'm not eligible for Whole Home as I don't have the right equipment??? They wanted to to out for $199 to install swim setup. By the way I have 2 other decks I cant get to. I just want the 2 HR21' to see each other. I thought they would turn me on in an "unsupported" manner? It's just software, right/ Suggestions, please.
    Jim

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Some CSRs don't seem to recognize unsupported MRV. I have seen recommendations to contact Directv via email for this (there is a place for this on the Directv website).

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    See here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590

Good luck

14. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Hello, Everyone -

Sent email - no respnse since Friday.

Question - When I look at my home network, how should my DVRs appear if they do? I have 2 HR 21's connected by hard wire. I have 2 instances of Directv 2 PC media server and 2 instances Directv Media Share Renderer showing in the media devices area of my network ( along with our computers that are attached.

WM

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That sounds about right. Although other devices on your network are irrelevant, even though they may see the dvrs, they cant do anything with them. If you install directv2pc app, you could potentially playback recordings on your pc, as long as your pc meets the specs for the special software, and they are a little stringent.

16. WhiteMask

WhiteMask Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    I sent the email in post 1 of this thread . . twice. The first time, no response. The second time they turned on WHDVR and my playlist is now combined on each HR21. We tried watching, deleting, etc. All working.:D My brother has WHDVR using his own network (hours over many phone calls to do it). I am thankful that the email approach still works. A few questions arise:
    1. My brother says his playlist has the "Name" he gave each receiver in parenthesis by each title. I don't have that and it would make the playlist a lot more practical. Can I turn this on in my HR21s. I did name the receivers I attached to my network.
    2. How do I stream video/pictures from my desktop to my HR21s and the TV attached to them?

WM

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    For item 1, go to Menu/Settings/Whole Home and there you will see options. One is called Name Location, so name it.

For item 2 go to Menu/Extras and there you will see Music and Photos
    Your PC must be on the same home network AND you must have sharing enabled. This could get a bit crazy but if you have WMP 11 or later, go into Windows media player and turn on sharing.

If that doesn't work do a Search for Sharing or TVersity and you will come across help in setting up Media Share. Thats a good search word too.

Dont be afraid to use the Search tab above. Lots of things out there you can find.