1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Connecting HR-21 700 to wireless network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by swingo, May 30, 2008.

1. swingo

swingo Cool Member

Apr 29, 2008
  2. vxman007

vxman007 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm using the Linksys wireless game adapter (WGA) that you're considering and it works fine for my HR21-700. I don't know the distance between my wireless router and the WGA; it's less than 200 feet, but it works fine. If you can't get the signal from 200 feet away, they sell wireless network extenders as well. Good luck.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    swingo, I have used the Linksys WGA54G and it works great. I actually just upgraded my network to wireless N and I am now using the Linksys WGA600N.

Whatever you get you need to get a wireless adapter with an ethernet
    connection like the WGA54G and not one with USB connection.

My only concern for you is 200' is probably to far. You may have to upgrade to wireless N (router) and get the WGA600N and I am still not sure if that will reach with a good enough signal.

4. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    you should try out the directv powerline kits. i now have 3 hr20's hooked up via powerline kits, easy to use.

5. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I have all mine hooked together with Powerline units I bought at Radio Shack (Netgear 104x). SImple plug and play and took all the frustration out of trying to set up my second wireless gaming adaptor when the first one worked fine and the second didn't.

6. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm in the wireless camp with 3 of those adapters and one wireless N adapter. They all work like a champ.

Not sure if the others will agree with me on this next one, but setting up the HR21 with a static IP sure has made things much easier to manage.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I completely agree with you on this. I have set all of my units to static IP addresses. Everything seems to setup much easier that way.

8. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Here is a link in my signature with list full of equipment that has been proven in by some of us here at DBStalk. I recommend looking at he Directv HD DVR Networking Kit for 200' of distance. It may make the best speed for that distance. It also has a link to the first look on that equipment.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I will help you out.

9. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Swingo, as other posters have mentioned, the distance cited may be the showstopper here. Can you test with a laptop or something to see how well wireless works near where you have your DVR? I don't have any experience with DirecTV's wireline adapter, but I have seen many posts here saying that they work reasonably well.

If you do end up going wireless, the Linksys WGA54G is a good option, unless you are using encryption on your wireless network. Unless there have been changes to that particular model, it only supported WEP, last time I checked. I ended up getting the WET200 wireless bridge which does support WPA2 and can handle up to 4 wired devices (which made more sense to me since I also have an XBox360 and did not want to clutter up my entertainment center with too many wireless adapters).

I have also set up all my gear with a static IP address. It did make the setup go a bit smoother, and it helps me do network troubleshooting when I need to, not to mention take out another point of failure in the network!

10. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    The WGA54G does only do WEP so that may be a problem for you.

11. swingo

swingo Cool Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. My laptop works fine from that location, so I am oig to buy the adapter.