1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting HR22-100 to a Cisco E100 (w/ Netgear Wgt624)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dcmidnight, Sep 28, 2010.

1. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Is it possible to use this older Netgear router to wirelessly connect the HR22 to my home network (Cisco E1000 / Cox Cable)?

I've tried manually setting this up for a couple of hours tonight. On the connection screen it shows all OKs and that it connects to the network but not the internet - and repeatedly I get Error 22. Is part of the reason that I have not been able to set this router up with my network key to connect?

I consider myself pretty technically inclined but this has been a real hassle. Would like if possible to avoid paying DTV another $100 if I can use this old Netgear router.

2. cherry919

cherry919 Cool Member

Jun 25, 2010
    That unit is a router only. I don't see any custom firmware that might convert it to a bridge or access point. You need a wireless bridge and/or a "gaming adapter" to connect your unit without wires. Powerline adapters are an option too. If you plan on using MRV, YMMV with powerline or wireless. With wireless, N is much faster than G. If you only want to add internet access, wireless or powerline will probably be OK. Don't spend $100 -- this is only $43 w/ shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-WAP3205-Wireless-Access-Ethernet/dp/B002LITI7K
    I have used ZyXEL products in the past and found them to be reliable.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can also look at getting the Linksys WRT160N router. With DD-WRT firmware, it works well as a wireless bridge. Just make sure to NOT get v2 of the router as that is the only version that DD-WRT firmware does not work with. You can get it refurbished or used for around $30 or so.

I have two that way and am very happy.

- Merg