1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Connecting Kingdome in-motion (travel) and SWM (parked)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by galtsfan, Mar 31, 2013.

1. galtsfan

galtsfan Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I just bought a MH that has a Kingdome dish. It also has a feed for a tripod.
    I have a HR21 DVR. I know only enough about the DVR to be dangerous. In my previous RV (fifth wheel) I carried a tripod with a SWM dish and was able to find the bird and get a good signal. My question is can I use the second sat. input on the DVR for the Kingdome and put the tripod on the first input once I'm set-up? It'll save me having to drag the DVR out and swapping inputs each time I set-up. Second method I thought might work would be an A/B switch from the two sources into the first input. But, I don't think the Kingdome has a SWM and the manual says "SATELLITE IN 1 (SWM-2) – Use to connect the DIRECTV HD DVR PRO to a satellite dish antenna.
    If your installation includes an SWM (Single Wire Module), connect the SWM output to this input."
    All advice would be appreciated.

Marv

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you can live with single tuner service on your DVR, you can use a non-SWM slimline dish on the tripod (or run two coax for dual tuner capability). You will still need to go back through satellite setup though to switch from single LNB (Kingdome) to 3 or 5 LNB.

To switch back and forth between SWM and the Kingdome will probably be difficult, as the receivers typically don't like to go from SWM to non-SWM.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #4 of 11
    BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    galtsfan,
    I don't know all the ins and outs of the Kingdome system, but a quick check of their website shows that the most expensive one they sell only works on birds 101 and 119. That's basically all SD (Ku) stuff. For the HD (Ka) birds (99 & 103) you need the slimline dish.

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can certainly try the options you mentioned. But, I think most of them will leave you more frustrated than satisfied. Since you know your way around setting up a SWM Slimline dish I would just stick with that.

Later when you are feeling rich, you can swap-out your Kingdome for a Travler DirecTV SWM dish.

I'm also with carl6, receivers don't like being switched from SWM to regular. On a recent move by a family member the installer could not switch an HR23 from regular to SWM no matter what he tried. So, I would not feel comfortable with this option.
    Bob

5. Apr 1, 2013 #5 of 11
    galtsfan

galtsfan Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks for all of the input folks. I didn't know the limitations of the HR21 when switching from one dish to the other. Maybe a second receiver ie. a H24 to work with the Kingdome while traveling and the HR21 on the tripod when parked would be the easiest way. I just thought of another topic for a thread.
    Will the kingdome work with hughes net?

Thanks again, Marv

6. Apr 1, 2013 #6 of 11
    FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    NO

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 11
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Nope, totally different type of LNB and technology involved.

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 11
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Keep satellite use simple, you're on vacation, have fun. Taking a 1/2 hour (at the very least) to mess around with the dish and reception peaking and switching over SWiM and back is just not fun. And maybe having to call D* CSR and burn up even more valuable vacation time makes me recoil in horror!!

I do have a customer with a motorhome, and he does take it out a few times a year, but mostly it is parked behind the house, and he happily spends free time in it whenever he gets a chance. There's no landline phone in it, but I did wire it into the home's satellite system. They spend many happy hours there, and I get the impression they enjoy the backyard as much as anywhere they go.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I don't get it !

Would be everyone happy if each installer spent just 1/2 hr to install a dish ? :)

Being on vacation, spending 1/2 hour for fun in open air - what could be better ?
    Motorhome it's a ... perpetuate vacation; what is the 1/2 hr for install - lost time in eternity? :D

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    LOL, you did not include as 'fun' a call to DirecTV CSR!

That's nobodies idea of a good use of critical vacation time!

11. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    I know a lot of people that use a tripod while RVing. They never call DirecTV. But they also don't try to mess around with their service address while RVing either. They either have DNS or they use an OTA antenna for local networks. The snowbirds that only move a couple times a year do change their service address.