1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting SD DVR to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dnamertz, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dnamertz

dnamertz Cool Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have an SD DVR in a room that is too far away from the room where my Wireless router is to run a cable to. I want to get my DVR to connect to the internet (mainly so I can program the DVR when I'm away from home). How do I get the DVR connected to the router without cables? Everything I read says something about connecting a cable to the router and to the DVR, but that doesn't sound like wireless to me. Am I missing something?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If this is an R15 or R16 DVR... you can't connect it to the internet, if I recall correctly.

3. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    This is correct.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The only "SD" DVR that supports network connections is the now-discontinued R22.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you schedule a recording via the DirecTV web site, is that scheduling sent via internet or via satellite? IF they come by satellite, then you should be able to schedule recordings on-line. If not, then you are out of luck with regard to an SD DVR. I'm not sure which way that scheduling is sent. Log into your account at DirecTV.com, go to the guide (under directv anywhere) and try scheduling a recording to see what happens.

6. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I know the R22 is discontinued but you can order them from solid signal.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    For the HD-DVRs the signal to set a recording for something comes from the satellite stream, not from a phone or internet connection. I assume that the SD-DVRs work the same way if they support setting up recordings online (I don't know I've never had a SD-DVR).

8. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    You could also download the DirecTV app, if you have an android phone or tablet. It would also give you the capability of programming your receivers. I'm sure that the iphone/pad app probably does the same thing but I don't have any Apple equipment and therefore can't speak for that.

The SD DVR apparently does get the programming information through the satellite. I have used the capability on a regular basis, both through the Directv site and using android phone and tablet apps. It works very quickly and works great.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Programming via the website or an app sets up the recording via satellite.

- Merg