1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting swm and pi options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mugz, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    The "rough" drawings show two wiring options. Option 1 is the way installer completed and seems to be working. Option 2 is recommended install by Kevin Ryan from dbstalk.com and a video he posted on youtube. Here is the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYxwRAG0yMs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    My question is which option is recommended? Thanks.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Option 1 is not connected to the red port, so nothing will happen. :)

If connected properly, I would do option 1 just because I don't like everything passing through the PI.

3. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Concerning the first image...on the left.

The PI output needs to go to the "DC Pass" input, the red one, on the splitter...the farthest right.

4. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks both for your input. You are correct, I did not draw the diagram accurately. Have made revisions. Please review and comment again. Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Option 2 is correct. :) Do you have a SWMLine dish?

6. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Also - is that your actual splitter model or just a generic image?

7. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Either will work.

8. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Is Option 1 any less valid than Option 2? Option 2 kind of defeats the purpose of having a splitter with a power passing leg.

I setup my SWM-8 using Option 1 somewhat arbitrarily because I didn't have room in my wiring box for the PI.

9. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Yes, I have an SL3S. The splitter in photo looks identical what I have. The photo is Model 4RO-03 mine is a 4RO-01. If I understand, both connections will work? Is one better than the other? Just to restate, the installer has it wired as in option 1. It would be very easy for me to rewire to option 2.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Either will work with no performance difference, but option 1 needs a termination on the unused port of the PI.

11. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    ...or a receiver/DVR.

12. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Generally, Power Pass only becomes critical in situations where you need to send a cable to a receiver that is in front of the PI. If all of your receivers are after the PI, which was the OP's case, the importance of Power Pass becomes a non-issue.

13. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks all for your help. I will leave it the way it is wired. Yes, there is a terminator installed on the unused PI connector bob.

14. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Look again...the OPs current install is option 1, with all IRDs "in front of" the PI. So, use of the the power pass port, on the PI leg, is needed.

15. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I see a thread every once in a while where there are issues and then someone moves the PI to another room and things clear up. That makes me suspect that sometimes PIs can be finicky about passing signal through them. You do drop a little voltage going through the splitter like that though, so it's give or take IMHO.

That said, I have MRV data running through mine with no issues.

16. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Kansas, then is it your opinion I should be using option 2? I was hoping I was done with this issue.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd call you "done" now.
    I've got receivers in front of my PI and behind my PI and everything works.
    From reading your posts, you should be fine.

18. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    That's not what I see in the Option 2 revised diagram. Either way, as VOS points out, he's done. Is it working properly? Done.

19. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Correct. I was ONLY referring to option 1.

The OP asked if it was OK (and it is, of course)...or if he needed to try option 2.

His first option 1 image (that was removed...and replaced by the OP) had the feed from the PI into a non-DC passing port of the splitter. After a question was raised...he then replaced it with the option 1 image you see now.

Sorry for the confusion.

20. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    NO...you're fine. You are done.