1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by larryah, Jul 30, 2010.

1. larryah

larryah AllStar

Jul 29, 2010
    I just had my system installed last week, and am interested in connecting my HR-24s to the internet. I already have a wireless network set up, but have some questions.

1. Is wireless sufficient to stream movies from DTV? I have Netflicks and stream movies from them through my PS3 with no problem. But I read somewhere that wireless doesnt work well with VOD.

2. If I do this, should I use DTVs wireless adapter ($100) or buy my own?

3. Should I attempt the install myself, or have DTV do it? I am pretty tech oriented and set up my home network and Home Theatre myself.

4. Do I have to be connected to a phone line?

5. Is it worth the cost to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When you had your install done did they also set you up for Whole Home DVR? If so they should have added an extra DECA module that connects to the Internet so you can use DOD.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Wireless is sufficient for On Demand but in most cases isn't really good for multiroom viewing.

Any wireless adapter will work but the Cisco/Linksys one from DIRECTV is self-configuring with the HR24.

If you have networking skills you could do it yourself. However if you bring in DIRECTV they will use the coax line for networking, hook one box to your router that converts from ethernet to coax (a "DECA") you'll be able to do multi-room viewing effectively.

No phone line is required if you're networked. Even if you're not it's really only used for PPV purchases.

It is definitely worth the cost.

4. larryah

larryah AllStar

Jul 29, 2010
    No I didnt do the Whole Home thing, I got two HR24s though.