1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Windows 7 Media CEnter

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by maizenbluedoc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. maizenbluedoc

maizenbluedoc Cool Member

Feb 12, 2007
    I cannot obtain a signal when connecting my coax cable to my Windows 7 Media Center PC. If I connect a sincle post portable antenna (similar to rabbit ears), I get most of the local channels and the picture is like HD. I get a caption, "no signal detected" when connecting my cable. I have examined multiple solutions without success. Frustrating

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Coax cable from your Dish? Not going to happen. Coax from the TV2 out? Possibly, but it'll only be SD.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    On your PC, you need to scan for analog channels again and tune into the channel Dish TV2 outputs to. See the settings on your Dish box to determine the channel. As Rasputin said, it will be limited to SD. If your Dish box is sling compatible, a sling adapter will give you a better picture without having to run any coax.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Maybe if you explained what you're trying to accomplish?

You say " If I connect a sincle post portable antenna (similar to rabbit ears), I get most of the local channels and the picture is like HD.", so why not do that if you want locals?

5. maizenbluedoc

maizenbluedoc Cool Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Primarily because I wanted to use my monitor as a TV due to my older CRT set is not going to be usable. To summarize, I wanted to replace the CRT TV with my monitor to receive the same channels from Dish Network. I get the local channels on all my TV's now as part of the subscription.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Let me see if I understand what you are trying to accomplish here...

You want to be able to watch your Dish Network satellite output on your PC.

You do not tell us which receiver you have, but ALL dish receivers that I am aware of have an NTSC output of some kind.

If your HTPC has an NTSC tuner card then all you need to do is to tune the card in your PC to the output channel of the Dish Network. If the card in your PC is ATSC only, you're out of luck and need to shop for another tuner card.

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Don't know what the problem is. I had an HP Media Center (WinXP) and just connected the RCA composite out to the Media Center and the IR extender taped to one of the 3 IR "buttons" on my 622. Had no trouble controlling the 622 channel selection,etc.. Windows Media Center software even has a feature to download the Dish guide so that you can also record to the Media Center. You can have your Dish programming playing in a window while working on something else. All of this SD only, of course.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What model DISH receiver are we talking about?

What channel is the media center tuned to?

Transmitters and receivers don't find each other by force of will or magic. You almost always have to tell the receiver (WMC) what channel to look for.

The more information you hide, the longer this process is going to take.

9. neomaine

neomaine Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Maizebluedoc,

You have to go from the receiver, can't use the coax directly as there are not unencrypted channels for you to see.

And, coax from the receiver to the capture card/tuner on your PC should work. If that's what your looking for, others above have given the options.

10. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005