1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection HR20 to network (from VOD thread)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Jeremy W, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Edit: This thread was created from a VOD is coming thread and really needed to be separated out into its own thread. Tom Robertson

You have never needed a wireless Ethernet bridge, and you still won't. The only reason you'd need one is if you can't string an Ethernet cable to your HR20's location.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Which is exactly what I'm going to do. I want the best connection for this so I'm going to buy a $20 hub and drill a hole in my foor to string the cable to my basement. I don't want a flaky wireless connection messing up my enjoyment of this.

3. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    Don't forget that Powerline ethernet adapters are another option. My XE104 has 4 ethernet ports and I'm using 2 of them now - 1 for the HR20, and another for my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player. Works great! :)

4. mnbulldog

mnbulldog Legend

Aug 25, 2006
    If you can't get Ethernet behind your entertainment center get one of these powerline ethernet adapters. Way better than wifi and you can hook up to 4 devices in one unit. I have one with Slingbox, Roku, HR20 and 360 on it - one box instead of 4 wifi eth bridges.

Clicky

5. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005

Should have been clearer, I use an Athlon based computer as a wireless bridge to my router (the computer was already at the HR-20 location, fishing cat 5 is not an option.). I have the problem with songs stopping after about ten minutes. I am wondering if I will still get the same dropout when I run VOD through the bridge.

6. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    I ran one 5 port Netgear wireless bridge to 2 hacked DTivo units connected via USB wired ethernet connectors - worked perfect for over a year. The bedroom and living room share a wall, so it was easy to run a short cable between the units to the bridge. I used it for MRV, streaming video to a PC, and the web interface. I still have the bridge connected to my one remaining DTivo. I have never considered the bridge "flaky".

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Better not no way in hell am I dumping my Macs. Guess I better get in gear and buy that Airport Express for the HR20. :D

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I know the terms are interchanged, but you want a switch, not a hub.;)

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I believe you are correct. My bad. :(

10. MNT

MNT Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Just wanted to mention -- I had an extra AirPort Express laying around when I got my HR20, and I had the same idea. Turns out, it does a great job of connecting the HR20 to a wireless network. Just plug it in, tell it the wireless network to join, and as they say, "there's no step 3." :)

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Aint it great to have a Mac? :D

12. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Will using a wireless USB adapter to plug into the HR20 work so I don't have to run a cat-5 line to the back of my receiver? If so, can anybody give me some suggestions and/or links so I can buy one?

13. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No. You can use a wireless game adapter that connects with a ethernet cable. The USB ports will not work for wireless.

14. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Any recommendations on which one to get?

15. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I would go with whatever brand your wireless router is. I have a Linksys router and game adapter.

16. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Ok, I have a linksys router so I will go with a linksys adapter

17. JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I have a Westell VersaLink 327W wireless modem/router (Verizon) but I can't find any Westell game adapter. I do have the the USB wireless adapter but that won't work, so how would I connect for this VOD?

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  19. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    While matching brands is marginally helpful (especially if you have to call in for support), any wireless bridge or game adapter will work fine.

Cheers,
    Tom

20. JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Any difference between a wireless bridge and game adapter? I am completely in the dark here. How is the wireless bridge or game adapter setup with connection for HR20?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.