1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Considering adding Genie to current DVR-rich install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by elaclair, Dec 2, 2012.

1. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    My current install consists of an HR-24 w/AM21 , an HR21-700, and an original HR20. The HR20 is showing signs of a failing hard drive, so I'm considering replacing it with an HR-34.

So, here's the question. If I swap the HR20 with the HR34, I'd have 9 tuners vying for only 8 available (single wire SWiM dish). Does it make sense (or even work) to just tell the HR21 to be a single tuner, or should I go ahead and replace it with a C31?

Thanks!

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You have a third option of upgrading to a SWM16, which would allow you to keep your HR21 fully functional.

But either one of your two will work, but with just less DVR recording capabilities. Can you live with seven (or eight) tuners?