1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Changing from Cable - Newb question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 2366967, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 2366967

2366967 New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    As the title states I am considering making the move from cable, I am new so take it easy please. I am somewhat tech literate and have been reading a lot on this site and others but I can't seem to find the answer to this question (one of many)... if Direct TV "rents" you the equipment for a monthly fee, and there really is no way around this, why do places like Solid Signal sell components? I guess what I am getting at is this: I would like to have 4 TVs connected to satellite, what prevents me from getting 2 receivers/DVRs from Direct (paying monthly) and buying 2 others (or some combination) separately (an not paying monthly)? I guess a couple questions there. TIA

2. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Solid Signal will "sell" you a box, but all you are actually paying for is the upfront lease fee.
    So you will still be required to active that box with Directv, thus triggering the monthly mirroring fee.

3. 2366967

2366967 New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks ladannen. But I am still missing something, why is there a market for the "components" from Solid Signal and the like? If you get the equipment for free (I think) from Direct and you pay the mirror fee regardless, why would I buy it? I am not paying a rental and "mirroring" fee to Direct, am I?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It is possible to actually get an owned box, either by paying quite a lot of money, or used. The biggest benefit of an actually owned box are that you can replace the internal hard drive with something bigger (on leased, you have to use an external drive), and you can activate/deactivate at will and keep the box. This is useful for something like a guest room, you can have a box for guests and only pay for it during that time. Even when it's owned, the monthly fee doesn't change when it's active on the account.

Caution is advised if attempting to buy an owned box, there is a lot of room to be scammed, or for someone not knowing the rules etc to sell you a doorstop.

Addition:

You pay one fee per box. The other fees (DVR, HD etc) are per account.

The main reason people get a leased receiver from a place like SS is that they guarantee the model. If you order an HD DVR from DirecTV, it can be anything from an HR20 (though maybe not now) through an HR24. They cannot guarantee a 24. Or in a case like the Genie, DirecTV may require they install it. If you know what you're doing, you can get it from Solid Signal and install it yourself. It's more for current customers, though people in the service area for Signal Connect in Michigan can get similar service on a new install.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Also, remember DirecTV doesn't always give those receivers away for free. They normally charge $99, $199, $299 for them just like Solid Signal. They only "give" them away to some new subscribers, or sometimes to existing subscribers that are out of contract, in order to get those subscribers back under a contract.