1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Dish but confused??

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ocbiker, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocbiker

ocbiker New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Currently I have to DirecTV Ultimate DVRs. I want to upgrade to HD and Dish seems to have the best lineup. On my first TV I definately want an HD DVR (622 I'm assuming). I would like the same setup on my second TV. However, after a looong conversation this morning with Dish they told me this isn't possible. I assumed this was just not possible due to their ordering system not supporting this package deal.

I then spoke to a manager and he also said it isn't possible. He explained that I would need to go with a 622 on TV1 and a standard HD receiver on the second. :nono2:

My question is what is the best setup to get the following options:

TV1 HD DVR
    TV2 HD DVR or just DVR

I must have two DVR's at all costs or the wife will throw me out :eek2: The HD on the second TV isn't critical.

Thanks in advance!

2. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    I would think you could you get a 622 (HD-DVR) and 625 (SD-DVR). However, if you've only got 2 TV's and only 1 really needs HD, just get a 622. It will output 1 channel in HD to one TV and a 2nd channel in SD to a 2nd TV and both TV's would have independent DVR capability that way.

3. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    If you don't care about HD on the second TV then you can use the 622 to run both TVs (giving you access to all recorded programs on both TVs), but the second TV would be downconverted.

4. ocbiker

ocbiker New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    I currently have two DVR's and I need to be able to record 2 channels on each DVR. Therefore, sharing the single 622 isn't an option as it would limit me to only being able to record two channels in total.

The 622 and 625 is probably an OK option since I don't care too much about HD on the second TV. However, is there really a technical limitation on why I can't get two 622s?

Also, from Dish support they said I couldn't get a 622 and a standard DVR. I'm assuming it's again just a limitation on startup packages they offer. Can you purchase an additional 622 or 625 separately after signing up?

5. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    No, I belive it's a supply issue.

Yes, I purchased a 625 a few weeks ago on ebay. You actually don't have to lease any Dish equipment. You can buy whatever you want and they'll activate it. I own both of my receivers (also have a 942).

6. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    Get a 622, and a 411 receiver.

7. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    Just FYI, but you can record THREE channels simultaneously on the 622 (and watch 2 prerecorded ones at the same time if you wish)....so truly, you may only need one 622 if the other TV doesn't need to receive HD content.

8. ocbiker

ocbiker New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the 622 has a dual tuner. Therefore, I don't see how it could record from three different channels at once. Are you referring to OTA as being the third recordable channel? I don't plan on hooking up an OTA antenna.

If it can record up to three satellite channels at once it might do the trick for me.

I have a second question, I currently have a 4way multiswitch that I use to provide two inputs to each of my DVRs with my DirecTV setup. Can this switch be used for a 622+625 setup or do I need a different type of switch?

9. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, the ota was his reference to the third tuner.
    No, you will need new switches. D* and E* are not compatible.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hooking up an OTA antenna could make the whole thing work. Which TVs are the various programs destined for? Are any of them available to you OTA?
    This is not currently possible without two receivers (E* or D*).
    The Dish 1000 is capable of driving both receivers without external switches.

In any event, the more specific you can be about what you're trying to accomplish, the less floundering around and suggestions of unacceptable solutions you'll have to endure.

11. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    THe original post is crystal clear (and it is exactly what I would have posted if I had not lucked onto it via search).

My situation is exactly the same. You see, with Directv, you can have two dvrs and record TWO shows on each dvr. So I can have an HDTV DVR in the Living room and an SDTV DVR in the Bedroom, record two shows in each room and watch one in each room all at the same time (I could if I cloned myself, but since I cannot I let the wife watch in the other room).

Anyway, I went thru the same BS with DISH online, they cannot or will not configure a two-dvr system for new customers. The online order won't allow it and the human factor won't allow it. Go figure. I really wanted to try Dish because of their lower HD DVR price.

Should I try contacting a local installer to see if they'll set me up with what I need or are you folks saying we just can't have two dvr's hooked up at once? I mean, that would just mean more money for the big corp, right?

Appreciate any help.

The Defector.

12. rmmcneil

rmmcneil Cool Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I just switched over to DISH from Directv and got the 622 HD-DVR installed in my living room and the 625 DVR installed in my bedroom. I wanted the ability to record 2 shows at each location... for a total of 4 shows at once if desired. I also wanted the dual tuner feature (like Directv TIVO units) at each location. I ordered my setup through a local installer/dealer and had NO problems getting the two DVR units as a new customer.

13. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

They will not lease two HD DVRs. You can lease one HD and one SD DVR.

14. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    That is exactly what I want. Thanks. Who did you contact?

15. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    Right. That is exactly what I posted. One HDTV DVR in the living room and one SDTV DVR in the bedroom. Thanks.

16. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    Oh yeah. I went back to DirecTVs site and I can configure online a two dvr upgrade (one sd and one HD). BUT, I have to pay them $500 for the privilege of remaining a customer. I am still looking at the numbers, though, and it looks like Dish will cost more over the course of the two-year commitment that D* requires. I appreciate the help here. Some of this packaging stuff is confusing (I am guessing intentionally so because how hard can it be for a Dish representative to figure out the customer wants two dvrs when the customer says, "I want two dvrs?).

Anyway, it is probably time for a change and give someone else my money for awhile. My sister has Dish, but she lives so far away that I cannot really compare the service to D*.

17. rmmcneil

rmmcneil Cool Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I used the "locate retailer" link on dish network's website to find someone local that did sales and installation. Everything went perfectly smooth and I no problems getting the equipment I wanted. Also, where many folks have complained about having to wait weeks for the 622's when ordered directly through dish network, my local installer already had them in stock. So from placing the order to watching tv, it was less than a week.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/locator/retailer/index.asp

So far I'm very pleased with my decision to switch over to dish.

Good luck!

18. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    That's great news. My wife is sick of playing games with the hughes boxes crapping out, the vcr tapes getting mixed up and juggling inputs for OTA/Sat, etc, etc.

Thanks for the link!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.