1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Considering Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 420benz, Oct 19, 2013.

1. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Can someone link me to how it is wired. Moving to new house and need to add whatever genie needs.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We'd need some more info for a precise answer, would it be in addition to current boxes or replacement and replacement for what. If you get it from DirecTV, the installer will do everything needed to upgrade you to SWM.

3. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    I will return all three DVRs and start over in new house with Genie.I will have a TV in the Great room on a over the fire place and all of the other components like DVD , Receiver will also be in the GR. I will have another TV in an office with my iMac. I need to tell the Low Voltage guy what to put in each room.
    BTW: I will be using Xfinity for hi speed internet. Don't know where to put it since I will need an Ethernet cable.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You simply need one RG 6 to each TV.

How are you wiring the house? Is everything running from a central location? Will you have a wiring closet containing your router and modem?

If so, the best setup is this:

Coax from the dish runs to that wiring closet. Home run a coax from every TV location to that wiring closet. Then, you can put your power inserter, a CCK (connects your coax network to your ethernet network) and a splitter in the wiring closet.

5. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    All of the connections will be in the closet as you said. Is RG 6 a coax cable? What is a CCK ? Also if there is a router and a modem in that closet,what happens to my Xfinity box?

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, RG6 = coax. So, a coax drop to every TV location that runs back to the closet. Each TV will need to connect to a DirecTV SWM Green label splitter. SWM requires a power supply, I'd put that in the wiring closet as well. If you have 3 TVs, this means a 4 port splitter (3 TVS + one output used in the closet for the PI/CCK). Then just one coax from the wiring closet out to your dish.

The CCK = Cinema Connection Kit. It's just a little box with a coax and ethernet connection on it, and bridges your coax network to your ethernet network. This gives all of your receivers an internet connection.

Important note: You cannot piggyback OTA or Cable TV on your DirecTV coax, so if you plan to have additional TV services like OTA signals at your TVs, you'll need a second coax drop to each TV. If you're only going to use DirecTV, then that isn't important.

Not sure what you mean by Xfinity box. I don't have Comcast so I don't know what they are referring to. I thought Xfinity was their TV service? Are you also going to have Comcast TV service?

7. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Will Direct TV supply the SWM and the CCK?
    I have an Zfinity Router/ Modem Combo box for high speed internet which I pay for monthly.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If DirecTV does the install, they will install the SWM equipment. You say the DVRs are going back, if you're keeping the SD receivers, they will be swapped for D12s. The D12 is SWM compatible but not Whole Home compatible.

9. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    I only have 3 HD DVRs that I will be sending back. What about the Xfinity Hi Speed Internet modem?

10. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, DirecTV will supply the SWM, power inserter, and the CCK. Normally the PI and the CCK are installed wherever the Genie server is located, but you can (and I suggest you do) have them install those two items in the wiring closet.

The Xfinity box you are talking about serves as your modem/router, so in my original post, substitute "xfinity box" for "modem and router"

11. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    I have a Samsung Smart TV. We watch Netflix and and listen to Pandora Radio. Since the computer is 50ft away do I need to connect an Ethernet cable from the computer to the TV?

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If the TV has WiFi built in you can use that, otherwise you need an ethernet cable to the TV from the router (this would be preferred over WiFi)

13. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, that functionality is completely independent of the DirecTV install, though.

I've attached a crude diagram of how I would suggest you do it. Everything inside the red box would be inside your wiring closet. Basically, you need two runs of RG-6 coax from outside your house to the wiring closet (one for Comcast internet, one for your DirecTV dish) and then you need at least one RG-6 coax from your wiring closet to each TV location. Then, you need one Cat5/6 Ethernet cable from the wiring closet to each "smart TV" location plus any other internet locations such as desktop computers.

Blue lines = cat5/6 ethernet
    Black lines = RG-6 coax
    Inside the red box = inside your wiring closet

Attached Files:

14. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Will I need to hard wire anything to have all of my equipment work? If not then you guys just saved me a bunch of money.

15. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    What do you mean? You will need to have those lines described run to each TV location.

16. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Sorry I must have posted without seeing your posts.
    OK I think I got it. Does this mean that the main TV will be viewed via coax?

17. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Not sure you've understood my posts. Every TV needs a coax run back to a splitter that will then connect to the dish.

18. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia

19. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Does the main Genie box have an HDMI outlet?

20. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL