1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Considering getting Genie - question about HDD compatibility

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BossWolf, Mar 17, 2014.

1. BossWolf

BossWolf New Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Wauseon, Ohio
    I am told I am entitled to an equipment upgrade as I have had service policy for more than 2 years and have never requested an upgrade, Right now I am using an HR24-500 with a Fantom GreenDrive 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive (GD2000EU32) functioning via eSATA hookup. It has worked OK for several years. If I can convince DirecTV that they should provide me with a Genie upgrade .. will my current added external hard drive hook up to and work with the Genie the same as it does with the HR24-500? Will my existing recorded programming be playable on the Genie? If it won't I will probably NOT ask for the upgrade and will continue with the equipment and setup that I have. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unless it was recorded OTA through an AM21, recorded programming will not work on any other DVR, including if your current one fails and it replaced, including another 24-500. You can add a Genie and keep your current DVR, though this will increase the monthly cost by $9 a month instead of just $3 (assuming you don't already pay the Whole Home DVR fee).

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    one day your HR24 will go south and you will loose all of your programing, why not just upgrade today ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    !devil12:[the questions coming each week, and same answers been given 1000 times ... why ppl can't read it? :shrug: ]

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It's the guy's 1st post, probably 1st time here. He didn't see any of the 1000 answers.

Welcome aboard BossWolf, you'll find that most people here will be happy to answer you're questions.

1 person likes this.