1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constitutional protection for everyone but "White America"

Discussion in 'The OT' started by n8dagr8, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    I figured this could lead to an interesting debate (but I could be wrong)...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12/22/student.kilt.ap/index.html

Well, if the principal really said that I find it a little distasteful. I might agree that a kilt isn't your "normal" prom atire but what if the student had been of a different nationality (race) and had worn some traditional "outfit" to represent their heritage? Would we not be hearing from Jesse Jackson and the ACLU? Seems that freedom of speech protects this kid.

2. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Not in schools.

3. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    I would think that the principal of a school could set dress code for certain events. Especially a high school dance. If they wore the same clothes that I see in the malls,, especially the girls ... Raging hormones on both sides ...
    I don't like the comment made by the principal (if true) .

4. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Legend

Sep 4, 2005
    Courts have repeatedly ruled several things all against your position on this:

1. Minors don't have full Constitutional rights. (For example, no right to bear arms.)

2. Schools have a compelling interest in fostering a certain environment and can impose a myriad of rules to achieve that. These include censorship (on speech), dress codes and, in some cases, locker searches.

3. Note also that if you have a locker at work, it too can be searched by the company without you having recourse. Even your car can be searched, if on company property. Weyerhauser made big news earlier doing this in Ohio and firing anyone with a gun in their car, even though it was the beginning of hunting season.

Certainly you should watch out for your rights, but crying wolf on such a losing battle wastes your time. Instead, you should fight battles where you could make a difference - perhaps the Weyerhauser one, for example - and then after winning that, move on to trying to cripple the educational system by fostering individuality at the expense of class attention.

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    The Scots would be surprised to learn they "look like clowns."

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Considering what some girls are wearing to school dances and proms these days, a kilt is no big deal. Girls can get by with all kinds of things, including wearing pants, but boys have to wear pants or its a problem. I knew a big burly guy in the last community I lived in who wore a kilt quite often. I think he was hoping someone would make a comment so he could punch him out. :lol:

Now if the student was wearing the traditional dirk (knife) that is a normal part of the ensemble, there might have been a problem. I was at a game at Bush stadium a few years ago when a Scottish group was sitting near me, in full regalia. Except for the knives, they just had empty scabbards. Sometimes they make allowances. :) Tempest in a teapot. Teenagers are always trying to push the envelope in expressing their individuality, even if that requires them to do what everyone else is doing. More power to the kid for wanting to do something different. At my prom most of the guys were wearing traditional tuxes (back in 1972, in a rainbow of putrid pastel colors), but one guy came in black tie, with top hat and cape. I guess he should have been refused entrance since he didn't look like the rest of us.

7. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    If its not Scottish, its CRAP!

8. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The kid had already talked to a vice principal, according to the story, who indicated it would be ok - though admittedly different.

I wonder if the principal would have felt equally bold if he had denied entry to someone wearing a dashiki? In other words, would he have been so (allegedly) flippant if the student were NOT white.

9. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I don't like the comment made by the principal

Especially with a name like McClard!

10. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    I wonder if the principal would have felt equally bold if he had denied entry to someone wearing a dashiki? In other words, would he have been so (allegedly) flippant if the student were NOT white.

At our local high school there is a dress code that bans certain attire that some black and Hispanic kids wear on the street. The dress code applies to any school activity, especially dances.

11. Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung Godfather

May 8, 2005

I don't know about you, but if there was a guy in my class wearing a kilt, I think I would be more focused on the teacher than looking at this man in a dress with sasquatch like legs. ewww

12. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Aye, musta been one of dem stinkin cambells, never could trust 'em

13. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    So do you support school uniforms? (this is for everyone)

14. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    it would certainly make it faster for the kids to get dressed for school :D

15. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    One sees uniforms a lot in public schools in mexico and europe. I have no problem with uniforms, but would prefer the current system provided schools and parents provide some basic guidelines. One would like common sense and decency to rule the day, but that is a bit much to hope for in some of todays schools.

16. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    Dress codes, yes, uniforms, no. The history of this country was moved forward by individuals who stood out from the crowd and used their individual talents. Quashing individuality in school is a great way to have a nation of sheep who need to be told what to do, even down to the clothes they wear. I quote PJ O"Rourke: "This country wasn't founded so we could all be better people, this country was founded so we could all be whoever we wanted to be".

17. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Dress codes, yes, uniforms, no. The history of this country was moved forward by individuals who stood out from the crowd and used their individual talents.

I agree. Research says that uniforms, especially in the upper grades do not raise student achievement.

18. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have always been a proponent for school uniforms, at least ever since I was a parent, not so much when I was a student. Particularly when we were living in a community where if my middle school daughter wore the same outfit twice in two weeks she was ridiculed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.