1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Contemplating ota/dvr options post dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by karrank%, Sep 23, 2012.

1. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    First, I apologize if this is the wrong area, or has been covered before/elsewhere.

We're a family of two in a small house, watching less tv as we age (sounds almost perverse, doesn't it?)

Consequently the monthly dish charge, reasonable though it may be, is becoming increasingly unnecessary.

We've experimented with OTA reception, and locally, we can get two english-language channels dependably with a little antenna and little effort.

We will miss the dvr functionality offered by our ehd connected to our vip211k when we depart dish.

Is there any inexpensive alternative to acquiring some dvr functionality for the little tv watching we will be doing?

Thanks for looking.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
  3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
  4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I went in through US, how'd I end up in Europe? I just tried it again and couldn't get back to same page. Weird.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If you didn't see the suggestions in your post elsewhere, just get the Welcome Pack.

6. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes, thanks folks, Welcome Pack sounds about our speed right now, one of the main reasons being OTA local reception requiring a lot more jiggery-pokery than we're interested in, (we're out in the sticks here, let's face it) and of course the simple dvr functionality we've become accustomed to with the 211k

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    A PC running Windows 7 with Windows Media Center and an OTA tuner card. They can be had relatively cheap ie. under $500, maybe less if you want to go Refurb. Add as big a second HDD as you choose (Mine is 1TB). Mine also has a full function remote control. And I have a 2TB external HDD. No encryption, so easy to transfer to another device!!

You'll have full DVR type functions as far as scheduled recordings. Playback at will with Pause, FF, Rev, etc.

With a DVD/BR drive, you can play your discs, etc.

Drives are nearly loaded up with recordings right now as I'm planning on dropping Dish after this annual renewal since they will be dropping the DVR fee credit.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Add to that...you can also use a XBox360 with the above as a media extender for the above, should you need a second room tv, or just not want a computer sitting under your tv.

I have the above setup in a media closet with two OTA tuners, and one FTA satellite tuner. Have PlayOn installed for access to internet content. I am using SageTv which is no longer available, but it works exactly the same way as SayWhat's suggestion. Its very workable.

For tuners, check HDHOMERUN or Hauppauge.

9. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Most of the Tivo boxes have 2 built-in OTA tuners. You still have a fee associated with the box, though. On the used market, you might be able to pick up a DTVPal.

As for OTA reception, it's actually not difficult for most people in most locations. A quality rooftop antenna with a preamplifier will do wonders for many locations. Check your particular location on TVFool, and if your signal strength for all your locals is better than -100dB, you should have no significant issues with a rooftop antenna.

10. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Again, the Welcome Pak makes THE most sense with their existing DISH equipment. The (monthly) Tivo fee is the SAME price as the Welcome Pak; plus the WP gives them about 20 national channels - on TOP of all their local channels.

You then still have all the upfront costs of the antenna, pre-amp, Tivo itself, etc. Their existing DISH receiver/HDD (DVR) has NO other monthly costs. If they wanted to add a 2nd 211k, it would only add another $7/month to their bill, & they could also add a HDD to it for another DVR receiver for no added costs from DISH. (the $40 EHD enabling fee they already paid, is good for ALL receivers on one account)

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    And, you are already set up and will only take a phone call, chat or DIRT member to make it happen now.

12. ubankit

ubankit AllStar

Jan 7, 2005
  13. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I haven't heard about the DVR fee issue. Is there a link to an article?

14. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I assume the $6 DVR fee. Can you use a 211 as a dvr with the Welcome pack?

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes (again)...

16. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, $40 EHD activation fee, no dvr fee.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    OP stated 'post Dish', not 'reduced Dish bill'.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  19. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Check post #6.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are two OTA channels going to satisfy the need?

There are surprisingly few OTA recording options but you really need to decide if you're going to have anything worth recording before you get too deep into hardware.