1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Content protection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FlBillsfan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    My wife wanted a HDTV for the kitchen, so I bought one & hooked it up to the HDDVR in the bedroom using a HDMI cable. Everything was working great until I went to watch Friday Night Lights which I had previously recorded, in the bedroom. I got a blank screen with the message "this TV does not support the content protection of this show" I had to remove the HDMI cable from the TV in the kitchen temporarily to watch the show.

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    "Big Hollywood" strikes again . . . :rolleyes:

3. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    This is just another case of over protective DRM. The only people that get harmed by actions like this are the honest customers. The group of people that circumvent DRM will not be stopped by 'content protection' only slowed down for a short period of time and than be back at it again.

4. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Was that on 101? They are testing it on that channel.

5. RehabMan

RehabMan Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Yes. FNL is on 101.

I watched it last night and I did bother to check if my HR20 was down-rezzing to 480i, as I have my HR20 connected to my system via component... it wasn't... TV was reporting 720p. So... at least part two of content protection (limiting resolution of analog outs) is not being done... yet...

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right now, 101 (and a couple of other channels, like 500) have an HDCP test enabled, just to help you determine if your TV connection will pass. They are not setting the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which is what would down-rez your content, but in the future, the content providers, at least for PPV and premium movie channels, are almost certain to do so.