1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Content protection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gpauljr, Jun 11, 2013.

1. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Just got a new Panasonic TCP65st60. When I go to access premium channels such as HBO, a message comes up for a short (and I mean short) time saying that "This TV does not support content protection and you need to use component cables...)" or something like that. I changed cables, ports on the TV with same result. DirecTV says it is not their problem and of course Panasonic support is shut down for the night. Any advice? I have the latest software update for the TV. Not sure if this is the right forum, but had to start somewhere. Have never had this problem with any other TV including Panasonic, and I have seven of various brands.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Putting the TV aside for the moment, do you have anything else connected to either the composite or component outputs of the dvr (such as a slingbox, vcr, dvd recorder, etc)?

If so thats the reason your getting the nag message screen.

If your solely hooked up to the TV however, try one of the following to correect the sistuation:
    1. Have you rebooted the DVR? If not do so.
    2. If the problem still persists, try a different HDMI cable. If the problem persists go to the next step.
    3. Is your TV on the latest firmware available from Panasonic for your specific model? If not, then upgrade the TV's firmware by the procedure indicated in it's manual for doing so.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the message comes up and then goes away and the movie / program plays,
    it might just be a slow HDMI handshake.
    Do you have the resolution set to just 1080i and the Native to OFF ?
    If not, I would try that and see if this changed channels a little bit quicker and avoids this message.

If the message comes up and goes away and the picture goes away then none of the post is relative.

4. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Thanks for your replies. Nothing else connected to component outputs, only an optical cable to receiver. I rebooted the DVR, same message, then program flashed off and on (same as before). Tried a different high quality HDMI cable, and made sure firmware on TV was up to date. Still same problem.

Update. I turned TV off as well as DVR and came back after a little while to see if my new Oppo DVD player would work with copy protected material. No problem. Then turned DirecTV back on and everything worked. Perhaps turning the TV off and then on cleared it somehow. Am still concerned and will call Panasonic tomorrow. Weird!!!

Thanks again for your help. Was getting a little concerned as the TV is brand new, and am mounting it on wall tomorrow. Didn't want to go through taking it down if the set is broken as it is heavy and bulky.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Sounds like the handshake just got messed up the first time.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You will occasionally get that message to flash on the screen, its just a delay in the handshake, as long as it goes away, and on mine it always does, its just a slight annoyance.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......I had that issue with my HR24-500. I just ignored it. Have yet to experience it with my HR34-700.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    This happens all of the time on 2 of my 3 TV's. Even calling it a "slight annoyance" is a overstatement.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What is the model of this receiver?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app