1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CONTEST FORMAT POLL: Please help me out here!

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Apr 6, 2004.

What Kind of Questions Do You Want Me to Ask in the Contest?

1. The same as you are doing now - the "random" type questions that attempt to tie somewhat into the ep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only questions that most likely have been spoiled by the spoiler sites.

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Try to do a combination of both, and keep the trifecta bonus covering all polls

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Ask some random type questions, and some spoiled questions, and have the trifecta bonus cover only t

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Ask some random type questions, and some spoiled questions, and have the trifecta bonus cover only t

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Make the random questions optional and not part of the participation points, but worth more points,

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Apr 6, 2004 #1 of 29
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I need some help from the players in the contest. I'm trying very hard to make this fun for everyone to play, but obviously, I'm not succeeding. I don't know if it's possible to make everyone happy or not, but I'm doing the best I can to try to.

So, this is purely an opinion poll - I will consider the results of the voting, and make some decisions about what direction this contest is going to go for the rest of it.

What kind of questions do you want to see asked? Please cast a vote, because really the only reason I'm still doing this contest is so that you guys can have a good time watching the show.

If you choose the last option, please explain below what you'd like to see the trifecta bonus cover.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the last option now, with the random questions being worth a lot more points than the spoiled questions, and having the random questions be optional to answer, as they will also have a component of losing points as well.

If there's another option that didn't come to mind right away, please post it as well.

But, as you can tell, I need some help here...

2. Apr 6, 2004 #2 of 29
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I really don't want to change in mid game... I mean I'm doing so well :lol:

3. Apr 6, 2004 #3 of 29
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Obviously as the current leader, I want the questions as easily guessed as possible, thus nobody will pass me. ;)

Seriously, I think poll #1 and #3 are the same thus far. About half the questions you have asked can be still spoiled by spoilers indirectly, although they are not the old questions like "who is booted". Examples include the questions about Rupert's tribe, # of votes shown, etc. All of these were easily guessed if you visit spoiler sites.

Questions I don't like are those like "# of fish caught", which obviously can't be known. But any game needs an element of chance to make it fair.

Even worse are questions which are totally unrelated to the show, such as "which poll answer (a, b, c, etc) gets the most votes here." These are too random for my taste.

No matter what format you choose, I think Trifecta's should always only be rewarded for a perfect score, including any random/semi-random questions.

I think negative points should be optional, in that you can avoid having points taken away if you avoid the question (adds a bit to the strategy), but you still lose the participation bonuses if you don't do them.

But I agree with dfergie... don't change the game radically mid-stream. Rather take this into consideration for next season.

4. Apr 6, 2004 #4 of 29
    Wildfire_36

Wildfire_36 AllStar

Sep 16, 2002
    I would lean towards questions that can still be "spoiled" yet indirectly, while still making you think about the game.

An example would be the # of vote against the person booted out. The spoilers would tell you who, and maybe even how many. For those who do not do spoilers, we would have to consider who we think is going to get voted out and who would vote for them to be booted.

The "truly" random questions like "what color shirt is Jeff wearing in the first scene?" do smack of wild guess stuff, and can get annoying even to a non-spoiler junkie.

The questions like "who will be interviewed first" and "which camp will be shown first" may SEEM random, but they aren't really for the most part (other than last week) if you think about it, there are some answers that are MORE LIKELY than not.

I did not vote in the poll, because I am not sure which one this would fall under. As for trifecta....I may be a bit biased because I am an avid NON-SPOILER person, so I think giving trifecta points to someone based on "spoilers" is wrong. We had a player who did REALLY well a year or so ago who NEVER watched the SHOW, only read the spoilers. To me this is WRONG!

Nor do I think the points should be based on guesses. So I guess my answer would be to have both kinds of questions and the trifecta based on both.

As for the negatives......again going "either way" (spoiler/non-spoiler) would be wrong. I do believe that if you don't want to vote then you should not have to. But you would loose the participation votes which should take you out of the running for ANY of the prizes.

Thems my thoughts, takem how ya wanna!

5. Apr 6, 2004 #5 of 29
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    An example would be the # of vote against the person booted out. The spoilers would tell you who, and maybe even how many.

I've never seen a spoiler that tells how many, but its usually very easy to guess. Take the assumption that Jeff likes to have as much drama as possible, and thus all votes not for the bootee will be shown: Thus you count the bootee and the number of allies the bootee has, and then add in the number of votes needed to get a majority against them.

Surprises only come if for some reason the camera shows a vote at the urn that Jeff doesn't actually pull out later... but that is very rare. Likewise last week the trivia contest showed a vote, but that was spoiled in the previews. Also if the bootee can't change his fate, he might tell his allies to go ahead and vote him out as well, austensibly to hide the alliance and not show their hand. And of course the basic assumption that all votes for everyone other than the bootee will be shown can always be tossed.

So while I think this week's question on the same topic has the potential for being easy to guess... there is still the possibility it will surprise us depending on several factors. Thus I think its a good basic question.

6. Apr 6, 2004 #6 of 29
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Wildfire, as far as the number of votes show, I agree, that is a good one. Even if you know without a doubt who is leaving, it is pure speculation how many votes they will get versus 1 or 2 others and then that leads to the question of how many of the votes do they show. A 3-2 vote might have all 5 shown, a 4-1 vote will probably only have 4 shown and so on.

Overall I agree some with both Danny and Wildfire. I don't really think I would want a huge + or - random question but having a couple of more random questions each week is good and could help break a tie for the rifecta bonus on a heavily spoiled week.

I would personally prefer if IC, RC and who is voted out polls were back in, especially as any spoiling will be much more spotty in regards to immunity and reward after individual challenges start. Plus the poll of who does someone bring with them on the reward is a good one as well.

Overall Mark, I think you are doing a fine job and these contests have increased my enjoyment of Survivor immensely . Whatever you do, I will play the game, even if I don;t like a particular poll. It is your game, you put in the several hours per week it must take to do it and like you said, it is hard to please everyone.

7. Apr 6, 2004 #7 of 29
    boma

boma Cool Member

Aug 14, 2002
    As Winner of the last Survivors contest, I have found that this contest has Far Less strategy and has Too Much Lucky guess type questions.

In the last contest we were able to see how others voted, and could use this info in our voting strategy. (I just let my winning secret out of the bag).

In the last contest I NEVER saw a spoiler site or recieved random bonus points, yet was able to still win because I followed my planned strategy (and a few lucky guesses).

I tried some of the spoiler sites durring this contest only to find they blurred my judgment rather than aid it.

Since I am not able to win this one, I can give my impartial opinions not being swayed by my points position (which really sucks ).

8. Apr 6, 2004 #8 of 29
    Wildfire_36

Wildfire_36 AllStar

Sep 16, 2002
    I never said how many are "shown" I said how many VOTES THEY RECEIVED. Major difference. Shown is easier to figure out to me.

9. Apr 6, 2004 #9 of 29
    TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Mark, you cannot please everyone...nor should you try. Since this is only my second year of playing in this contest, I don't know if you have more people playing or less people playing than in previous years. But if you do have more people playing, you obviously are pleasing more people and should keep things the way they are.

I feel that no contest should change its format mid-stream even if a majority don't like the way it is being played. We all read the rules going in and we're still all playing. I think if Mark does consider changing the types of questions, we can discuss it again as Survivor 9 begins late this summer.

Thanks again to Mark for running this contest! :)

10. pweezil

pweezil LGOE/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 11, 2002
    Mark, Just my opinion, but since you're the one who does all the work running the contest and going out to get the prizes, I think you should ask whatever questions you want to. If people don't like a contest where you can win a $1000 prize for free, let them go somewhere else. I think the random questions make Survivor seem more like a "live" show when noone really knows any answer before the show actually airs. Either way, I really appreciate all you do. :biggthump

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    In the last contest we were able to see how others voted, and could use this info in our voting strategy. (I just let my winning secret out of the bag).

Oh, thats not a secret. If you have no clue what the answer is, you have to vote with the leaders. If you want to have a chance of passing the leaders, you have to vote differently from them on questions that aren't spoiled. Definatly a different strategy this year with the polls being hidden.

Back when I came in 3rd place during the first Survivor contest here, I had to sacrifice an easy #2 victory position because I had to vote differently from the leader to have any chance of winning at all.

Last season had a pretty hectic moment, because one of the questions was something like "who will be in the #1 spot this week". Because the answers depended upon how the leaders voted, all of us were waiting till the very last minute to vote just to see how it went down. ;)

12. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    I really liked seeing how others voted as well. Granted, NOT knowing makes my life easier because I don't wait until the last possible moment so that I can see how everybody else (or at least the leaders) is voting. It was nice to be able to change your vote as well, but that's a different topic.

The voting results that are show this season don't really help very much (at least for me) as they are too spread out.

When a similar discussion was discussed on another thread, nothing was really mentioned about changing the question format midway through the contest. I'm assuming this holds here as well. Mark is merely solictiing information, and can use it how he wishes. HE can change things now or wait until S9.

I'd like to see more traditional type of questions (RC/IC/BOOT) *with* addtional bonus question added each week. Even with spoilers, it's tough to get all RC/IC/BOOT correct even without the bonus questions. Bonus questions like "Who does the BOOTEE vote for?" and "How many votes does the BOOTEE get?" really make you think. They drive me crazy, but they make you think about the game (not necessarily the editing like the "How many votes are shown?"). Questions like: Who is in what alliance? Who has the stronger alliance between the two? ... all come in to play with questions like this. I guess I like them because the answer can be analyzed and thought-through.

Another idea I just thought about... Mark, if you would delay posting the questions (for the upcoming week) until say Monday morning. That might help to ensure the questions aren't spoiled by the spoilers. That will give time for the "die-hards" to discuss the after-show preview and any potential commerical previews. The spoiled Rupert question last week could have been weeded out this way.

13. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Do we get 10 points if we pick the right answer and -10 if we don't :D

14. rlindabury

rlindabury Cool Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I've heard of spoiler sites but never went to one or even tried to find the url of one. I mean, I want to enjoy the show when I watch it. I don't want to know what happens before I watch it.

I really can't coment on the polls I guess. I felt the random questions were too random and amount to a crap shoot. Especially the editing questions. Who knows what the editor or producer was thinking on any particular day. It's like trying to call a roll of the dice.

But then again, I care more about watching and enjoying the show than about my placement is this contest.

I don't even look at what everybody else voted for before placing my vote. I guess if you play this game completely honestly, you'll end up with a score like mine. If your goal is to find as many spoilers as you can and to view the top answers before-hand, then you too can be a winner of this contest and ruin the surprise the show brings each week.

So be it.

It's a shame that this contest and the show has the potential to be ruined by spoilers and the people who read them.

15. toddjb

toddjb Legend

May 7, 2002
    Mark, when evaluating your final responses to this poll, remember to weight them accordingly. The first question is "keep things as is," and the other 5 questions are in support of change. You can fairly choose not to do anything, but the sum of the last 5 questions, for change, should be weighted against the first question, "good as is."

Otherwise you could ask 5 more questions regarding what is our favorite font color or how many poll responses do we expect in this challenge :) :D which will futher dilute the vote.

Thanks again for putting the effort in. Again, if something like this comes up we will certainly all debate it. But, you can also throw whatever questions you like out there and most of us will still play.

16. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    For those who feel spoilers ruin the show and contest, what is a spoiler? CBS gives away plenty on their website and in the TV commercials. Clearly, someone who watches the commercials can have an advantage over those who do not. In fact, this week, something that was only hinted at during the preveiws of next week is blatantly confirmed on cbs.com plus if you know what to look for it is confirmed in the commercials running this week. Looking at editing patterns that Burnett likes to use over and over again or who is in an alliance with who could also lead to predictions about what might happen so just thinking about things in the show in a logical manner like dbkelly mentioned could spoil it. I agree that it seems odd for someone to play a contest such as this and then be upset that the game might be spoiled.

Now, I would love to win a HD DirecTiVo to go with the one I have on order but I think that maybe the prize has gotten so valuable that people are getting too invested in the contest. I agree it is great that we can win a $1,000 prize by chatting about a show we like at a satellite forum we love but it was much more of a game when the prize was less expensive IMO.

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    people are getting too invested in the contest

Probably so... but then again I've been just as invested in all the prior contests as well. ;)

But then the size of the prize here has adjusted how I look at other contests. Just curious, but has anyone else here NOT joined the other contest running now, because they are afraid they might win and thus disqualify themselves from this one? *raises hand*

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hey Mark... just reviewing how folks have placed over the past 10 weeks. Its too early to tell, but one possible side effect of the negative points is to spread the pack out much further from each other and thereby making it more difficult for the pack to ever catch up.

Until this week (which had the most negative polls thus far), the leader has always been within 14 points of the 2nd place, usually jumping ahead via a trifecta. This week the gap jumped to 27 points, WITHOUT the leader winning a Trifecta that week.

Just something you should keep your eye on.

19. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Spoiler is information obtained outside of official source. Example would be someone sees Tom in NY this week. This piece of information gives someone a possible clue as to what this weeks outcome it. Another Spoiler would be a list of people voted off or perhaps someone having inside information as to who wins immunity.

Some people consider Spoilers to be preview information and I can understand that. IF the questions are kept such that official channels and spoiler sights can spoil them then even people that don't watch the previews are kept on a level playing field. Personally I thinkt he questions should be such that you can make an educated guess and maybe a more educated guess with the previews or spoiler info, but the answer is not given away.

The puriest would say that any info pertaining to the next episode is considered spoiler and I fully understand that logic. My take is that it means any outside info that indicates an outcome included in the show. Jenna leaving because her Mom she felt he Mom was dying I would consider a Spoiler. It was not included within official channels but was included in some outside TV guide info.

There are three type of spoiler info that I see:

1) CBS previews.
    2) Source from other media like TV guide.
    3) Spoiler sites that include Sightings and leaks from production people etc.

20. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Never watched Survivor before and never played in your contest either. To me, many questions seem pretty random, which is just a crap shoot, as evidenced by my not getting one question right last week. :-( Something a little more to do with deducing the game would help, but I am still at a disadvantage being so new to Survivor and how Burnett might choose interviewees, etc.

However, I think you are trying hard to have a fair game, Mark, and it has made Survivor and this contest a fun part of the week. I know it must be hours of work each week, so thank you for your time and effort!