1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuing saga of my 622 and 129 install

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Boomer27, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer27

Boomer27 Cool Member

Feb 1, 2006
    A long post, sorry in advance:

I posted here last week on the trouble I had getting my 622 installed and not being able to get 129, the saga continues.

I called Dish after my install to let them know I couldn’t get 129 and the CSR told me that he would order a site survey to make sure that 129 was not available to me, BTW I live in a canyon with a lot of trees. The CSR was very accommodating and reduced my bill for the channels I’m not getting, nice.

Friday rolls around and the tech came out. I’d had this tech here before, he screwed up an installation and another tech had to come out to fix his mess; I knew more about what he was doing then he did. He did a site survey and found a location for 129 just off my deck railing pointing to an open area. He went to install a Dish 1000 which I told him not to since my Dish 500 for 110 and 119 was working fine, a Dish 500 would be sufficient. He of course doesn’t listen to me and installed a Dish 1000; OK I thought who cares as long as I get 129. He hooks it up and I do a check switch and #3 (129) comes up saying NC (not connected). The tech says there’s no signal, I of course show him the NC means no connection, he of course doesn’t listen. He goes out and fiddles around and comes back in and does a check switch, now it shows 119 and 129 as NC. He then proceeds to swap out the 34 switch (not necessary).

I’m seeing where this is going so I get on the phone with Dish and get a hold of their advanced support. As the tech is fiddling around outside I hand him the phone with advanced support. Advanced support tells him he doesn’t have it hooked up right and the tech tells advanced support they don’t know what their talking about and again he doesn’t listen (seems like a pattern). I get on the phone with the advanced tech and the tech is very upset, logs the call and tells me good luck and have a good day. Meanwhile, the tech has now redone most of my installation and now nothings working. To make matters worst he decides to just leave! When he’s gone I hook 110 and 119 back up so at least I have reception.

I call the dispatch for the tech and the receptionist answers, I tell her what’s transpired and she starts arguing with me about the new dish and no reception, I ask for the manager. The manager gets on the line and argues with me until I said “do you think I would have had the extra dish installed if the tech didn’t tell me there was reception?”. His response was OK got me there, I’ll send someone else out. Meanwhile I got back on the phone with advanced tech support and they let me know again that he didn’t have the new dish hooked up right and they called the manager, which argued with them (I know this because I was on hold and the advance tech comes back on the line pissed)

Another tech came out yesterday and took a look and he agreed with Dish and me that it wasn’t hooked up right. He hooked it up and no signal (no surprise a red X through the box).

I’m not sure there a moral to the story, just had to vent somewhere. This is not brain surgery even though Dish would like you to believe it is. I hope your experiences are better than mine..

2. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    I understand. I have yet another install date set for June 10th... let's see if they can find it (129) this time... since they don't ever really want to try to get a signal more than once!!

signed,

HD-less in Seattle

3. glimmie

glimmie Cool Member

May 30, 2006
    Why don't you just fix it yourself. The manuals and this forum have all the information you need. You're right, it's not brain surgery. Anybody can hook these systems up. The installation business just wants you to think it's complicated - just like any other consumer trade business.

4. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Not speaking for Boomer27, but I rescheduled another install because I have all legacy stuff - the cost of upgrading the hardware alone is very pricey... of course I may end up doing so in the long run :nono:

5. ZICRON

ZICRON Cool Member

May 24, 2006
    Are the problems you all are having getting this sat because you're so far North?

I'm going to make the HD plunge here soon and want to make sure I won't have a problem with 129, but I think I can see it already, and I'm pretty sure the Phoenix HD Locals are on 129.

6. tmounts

tmounts New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I've just upgraded to a vip 622 and have experienced similar problems. I also have a PVR 508 and PVR 510 on my system. Worked fine on Dish 500 for many years, including the SAT/VHF diplexers in the lines.

They put in a DPP-44 switch. This caused problems immediately with the 508 and 510 not recognizing the switch. The installers left the installation incomplete, and it took several days to get rescheduled - another story for another time.

What I learned through my own trial and error between the initial and follow-up service call, was that the 508 and the 510 are expecting the 119 and 110 sattelites to be on ports 1 and 2 respectively. The installation guide that comes in the box with the switch says that the position of the sattelite LNBF to the input port doesn't make a difference except with Legacy equipment. The 508 and 510 are both DishPro and not legacy, but it seems to make a critical difference. When I set it up this way, all 3 devices see the all 3 sattelites correctly.

BTW, they installed 3 seperate DP LNBF's, and not the Dual and the single like the book says. They also installed the DPP-44 since I only have the capability of running one line from the switch to the vip 622.

7. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Boomer, I would email ceo@echostar.com. I just did this yesterday and received a call the same day from an executive! He said my install issues would be resolved by sending out a field manager. It was suggested to me to use this email and I'm glad I went ahead with it. THANKS TO THIS FORUM!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.