1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Continuum - time jumping for real

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by TomCat, Jan 15, 2013.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Continuum is supposed to be about a female cop ("protector") from 2077 that jumps back in time to 2012. OK.

But the show itself seems to have experienced its own time jump; Syfy is positioning the show as a brand new show. New to them, maybe, but not only did this show apparently jump all the way from Canada, it also jumped from 2012 to 2013. IOW, it appears this show is not really "new" as the first 10 eps are clearly marked in epguides as if they aired beginning last May. Not only that, the DTV GUI reports equivalent original air dates for this week's and next week's ep.

NBC used to say "if its new to you, it's new to you", or something about that inane when puffing up Seinfeld eps in the summer a decade and a half ago. This is no less stupid. There is something to be said for full disclosure, but I don't really care whether they are pulling the wool here or not, just that they bring us a good show.

Well, that boat has sailed. Maybe Syfy was less than forthcoming regarding this show's genesis because they are so embarassed by it, and think "new show" badging will somehow automagically wash the stink off of crapola production and writing in what is really a second-hand hand-me-down from the Klondike.

It used to be that you could tell a Canadian import by its hokey amateurish production and casts of unknowns. It was a little like triple-A ball for producers; they could hone their craft up north and then try for the big leagues in LA. That line blurred a lot with quality shows like Rookie Blue and Flashpoint, which are better than a lot of Hollywood fare.

But Continuum is a throwback, with 1990's hokum aplenty and a storyline that makes little sense even if you suspend disbelief and accept the time travel dilemma. The level of cleverity here never seems to rise above "running gun battle" (ho hum). It may have one of the most stunning creatures ever to walk the planet as its lead, but she has been much better in Alias, Criminal Minds, and a couple of others that I can't quite recall at the moment (Injustice?). Always a hot-babe fave, I always looked forward to Rachel Nichols in anything, and was always happy to cut her a break on average acting chops. After all, she's not there because she's Olivier, she's there for the exact reason we all imagine.

But maybe those more-expensive shows had better directors and could coach her into a role more effectively. Here, she seems to be completely single minded with a cardboard cut-out personality that makes her anything but interesting. Too bad; she's pretty fine. Maybe I'll just watch this one with the sound off.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The air dates are the original Canadian air dates. You know SyFy does this if you've read any of the other threads in here on shows that originated in a different country then aired on SyFy.

3. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, loved the pilot, it's a keeper. Has gotten excellent reviews.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I enjoyed it as well.

5. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    i enjoyed it too, I did notice the date discrepancy but just adjusted my SL to both and problem solved

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Enjoyed it as well. As for the OAD, as mentioned, that's how SyFy has always done it with regard to series that aired in other countries first. IFC does it as well with 13 and The Audience Network does it as well.

- Merg

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It makes total sense to me to use that date. After all it's called "Original Air Date" not "Original U.S. Air Date".

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1

Of course, it would be nice if the guide data could use the First Run flag correctly in combination with DirecTV's algorithm for recording first run shows so that you didn't need to update your SL to record First Run and Repeats. :)

- Merg

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Agreed!

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    It's not just other countries, SyFy says they have all new episodes of Fringe too.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Watching the first episode as I post this. So the Big Business Dictatorship are the good guys and the Democratic Rebels are evil. With a plot like that, I don't see this show lasting very long.

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I have to agree with this. I asked myself, just WHO exactly, are the good guys, and who are the bad guys? There is no one to really support.

It almost looks like the cigarette smoking man from X-Files is going to be a good guy in this series. :) (Yeah, I know, Wm. B. Davis). Does he actually REMEMBER the girl from so many years ago? That would tell us a lot about how time travel works in "this universe".

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think the fact that the rebels don't care about civilian casualties is what is supposed to make them evil. The attack they did to take out the board killed thousands of normal citizens.

- Merg

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Rachel Nichols has always been a fav of mine, glad to see her back...it was interesting, we'll have to see where it goes....

Isn't Lost Girl the same where its a Canadian transport and shown there 1st as well?

15. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    So far this new show is intriguing time will tell but so far I'm eagerly awaiting episode two.

Indeed. Lost Girl has the same issue though I've forgotten if it picks up as "new" or in fact requires I flag "both" Going to have to check on that stuff.

Don "In addition the obvious draw to Lost Girl, Kensi's quips are priceless" Bolton

16. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Both come up as new for Dish :)

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    They come up as new for DirecTV, but do you set your SL for First Run or Repeats for recording them? The Guide Data implies that it is not a First Run (even though for us here in the U.S. it is).

- Merg

18. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Setting the Dish timer for 'New Episodes' picks up Continuum.

19. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Only set up for new episodes.

20. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I like the first episode nd looking forward to the rest of the series.