1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contract Changes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bustert, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bustert

bustert Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    They recently sent me a notice explaining changes to my contract that I assume everyone else is getting. It sounded as though this would be an opportunity to terminate their service without paying the fees normally charged for early termination. Do any of you read it that way?

They recently replaced a faulty box which means I now have another two years to go if I want to drop them without penalty fees.

Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Replacing a faulty receiver does not renew your contract.
    Adding one does.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Adding an owned unit doesn't.

Rich

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    You cannot. The changes this year were quite minor adding things like wording for the Genie clients.

5. bustert

bustert Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    According to them it does extend my contract from the date they installed a new receiver to replace an old one. So maybe this is an arguable point with them if it comes to that. Not sure I want to cut the cord just yet.

I didn't think it sounded fair at the time but didn't protest since I hadn't considered streaming yet.

On the other point, I'm quite certain their mail indicated that if I didn't want to accept the new terms I could cancel. They didn't bring up the fees aspect. Has everyone recieved this mailing?

6. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    If you don't like the new terms you can cancel under the old terms. That includes the cancellation fee.

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Assuming it’s a swap of the same type of receiver (receiver or DVR) replacing a faulty receiver does not reset your commitment. However, it incorrectly gets applied sometimes.

I would call DIRECTV and explain to them that this was a replacement for a bad box and not an added receiver.

As far as the new Customer Agreement goes, I believe that you may cancel but a deactivation fee and other fees still apply. IIUC, you may still have to pay the ETF.

Mike