1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contract renewal options or make the switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wg8170, Oct 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wg8170

wg8170 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    My parents are looking to dump cable and I was going to set them up on DTV. When I went through the online sign-up, I was amazed at the deals they cut for new customers. Basically half of what I currently pay for the same package and add-ons. I am well past my two-year commitment and was wondering what my options were.

I currently have an HR-20, and SD Tivo and and two old Hughes SD receivers. I would like to upgrade everything to Whole-home compatible equipment as well as save a little on my monthly bill.

My parents costs, as new customers either way, are about the same on DTV and Dish. I however would save substantially by making the switch assuming DTV isn't willing to cut me a deal.

Personally I would prefer to stick with DTV, just because it would be convenient, but I have several friends with Dish who are perfectly happy.

Any suggestions on how to approach this with DTV?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1-800-DIRECTV

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All similar companies give the best deals to new customers, as that's how you get new customers. Likely you got some discounts when you first signed up too (though if you've had DirecTV long enough, maybe not).

Anyway, don't expect to get a new customer offer, because you won't, from any provider where you are an EXISTING customer. But you will probably get some kind of discounted equipment upgrade if you call.

You are only a NEW customer once, and while switching can result in a temporary lower monthly cost, many folks find that with multiple advanced receivers, the cost to switch is high. Make sure you fully evaluate your situation, and run the numbers for the next 2 years, as you'll be in a 2-year contract either way.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    :) I got to pay $800 for a RCA "room heater" single tuner SD receiver, an 18" dish, and a single LNB. Then I got a deal on the install kit with coax, and a little compass for $50.

Programming was a lot cheaper then though...Think it was $39 for everything from DirecTv. Cant remember what the movie packages from USSB cost.

5. davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    My friend had the same issue, all he did was sign back up under a new account and cancel under the old one. Phh at the one time only deals!

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Me too, though I bought a Sony SAT-A2 receiver and the Sony dish with the DUAL output LNB! Woo-hoo! It was my first of what turned out to be THOUSANDS of DBS installs...

7. wg8170

wg8170 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    That's what I thought about doing, but I thought the "new customer" or "fist time customer" deal was based on physical address meaning if you ever had service at that address, you were SOL.

8. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    i thought its x amount of years before they would consider you new again? thats how every other company does it. personally, its a no brainer, if they won't deal, go to dish. companies wrongfully target new people forgetting that losing the existing ones is worse.

9. mpinales

mpinales New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    I recently switched from Dish to Directv. The savings was really great. I asked if Dish would meet the price, and they said no. About a month later they called with a great price...too late. Seems the left hand (retention) doesn't know what the right hand (new customers) is doing.

10. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    dish did the same to me, i begged them for a long time to come out and fix the rain fade, they kept wanting to charge me, when I called to cancel because I got uverse, then they were ready to send someone out free of charge and give me a large discount.

11. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Do this. Call and inquire about the MRV upgrade, and see what they can do for you. Get the best deal out of the CSR and then politely say you will think about it, unless you are happy with what they offered.

Call back again and see what they can offer you this time. The CSR Roulette wheel can be very rewarding. One person may give you little while the next will give you the moon.

Once you get a deal you are happy with. Refer your parents and get even more off your bill. 10$ / Month for 10 months!

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral/referralProgram.jsp

Edit: Also ask about FREE HD For life if you haven't already. Even more off the bill.

12. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I had service slightly under two years ago, and they wouldn't even offer me some of the "new customer" deals.

13. davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    My friend used the same name, address, and everything. He even had both accounts active for a day and got all of the new customer deals.

14. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    tell them to take a hike and switch;)

15. Guardian

Guardian AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    +1

16. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If you want more HD and superior PQ...stick with DirecTV.

17. greenrun99

greenrun99 Cool Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Its 2 years from your cancellation that you are considered a new customer again is what I was told when saying I was going to cancel.

18. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That sounds about right. I remember that I got the second RCA at around $400 or $500.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    He must have used a different social security number and phone number because that is what they use. Otherwise I find it hard to believe that he got the "new customer" deal. They don't look at address.

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    No, it more like forever .... definitely not 2 years. Your contract is 2 years. I've seen people who called after 5 years and they didn't get new cust deals unless they had their wife, girlfriend etc (different SSN and phone number) sign up for them. They may have given them a few bucks off or a free movie channel for a few months, but not new customer pricing after only 2 years. They keep you on file virtually forever.