1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Contract up on Monday can I call now for new contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KoRn, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1 of 34
    KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I would like to get a deal going a few days early if possible? Or will Directv not budge until the actual day of the contract is up? Contract is up on the 10th this Monday. Dish hopper looks good atm if Directv will not give me a Genie and sign for another 2 years.

2. Dec 7, 2012 #2 of 34
    wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    No one here can answer that...you need to call DTV

3. Dec 7, 2012 #3 of 34
    KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I was hoping someone in recent days might have done the same thing. Guess I will just have to call and see.

4. Dec 7, 2012 #4 of 34
    wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah its on an account by account basis..dependent upon many variables

5. Dec 7, 2012 #5 of 34
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The contract is the attempt to recoup the cost of your original installation that you probably paid next to nothing for. What are you hoping to get by adding another contract?

6. Dec 8, 2012 #6 of 34
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He wants an HR34. I've been offered one every time I call. Even ACT offered me one. Anything to get that contract renewed.

Rich

7. Dec 8, 2012 #7 of 34
    Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I called 1month early to see about HR34. They said it was alright to go ahead and renew early. My new 2 year comitment started the day they installed the new equipment.

8. Dec 8, 2012 #8 of 34
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    They will give just about anyone a Genie, for a price. He never made mention to what system he was looking for. If he already has an HD DVR and whole home, he may come out better getting another HD DVR based on whether or not there is a charge for the Genie.

Mentioning another 2 year contract, I only asked what he was looking for to see if he was expecting the same discounts he got when he first signed up.

The original post was vague. I was only asking for more detail.

9. Dec 8, 2012 #9 of 34
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    When you aren't under contract you can get deals WITHOUT a new contract. I did.

I was miffed about the "regional sports fee" since I am not a sports fan and never watch so I complained about it and complained about it. The last time I called to complain they must have switched me to the retention dept. since I asked when my commitment date was so I could cancel without an ETF. (Of course, I knew I hadn't been under commitment for months)

The first suggestion to eliminate the sports fee (Entertainment Package) was immediately vetoed as many of my favorite channels aren't in it. Then when I once again pressed for the commitment date I was offered $10 off per month FOR A YEAR plus NO DVR FEE for six months. "You betcha!" I said and, of course since no additional equipment was involved no new commitment.

10. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    We currently have a HR24 in the living room and HR22 in the bedroom. The new Genie would be replacing the HR24 and that would be going into the bedroom. We have the second to highest package, along with the HD Extra pack and protection plan. Whole home dvr is setup and ready to use. I just never activated it for the monthly fee. I am not going to press for extras. All I care and want is the Genie with out having to pay any thing and more then willing to sign another 2 year deal. If they cant do that for me and want to fiddle fart around with negotiating. I will just go to Dish hopper and once that is up. More then likely come back to Directv. Not that it matters. We also order a lot of ppv's with Directv events and movies. Also have a perfect paying 4 year record with auto pay as well. Lets see how much they "value" me as a customer.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Been offering it to me at no charge. Yeah, the OP was kinda vague.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're gonna give up a 24 and keep a 22-100? That's amazing... :nono2:

Rich

13. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    I agree. Dump the 22 and keep the 24. The tech can move the 24 to the 22's location if that's your concern.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Maybe he's into antiques. :sure:

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Or making huge mistakes. Maybe he typed that wrong.

Rich

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Definitely keep the HR24.

17. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I think you guys misread. I am not that crazy :eek2: to keep the HR22. That would be going and the HR24 would be going in the bed room.

18. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Well I called a few minutes ago. Think I got a pretty good deal. $48 installed. They initially wanted $300 and I said no way. She said let me switch you to cancellation department as they have more lead way. They got it to $99 and I still was not willing to pay it. I had in mind to pay nothing and cancel. They said well how about $48. Done and I was happy.

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Great News and Way To Negotiate!!! :lol:

20. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    It's only been a few months since people were jumping all over me because I wasn't willing to pay the full ride for an HR34. I was complaining about the games one had to play to get a discount. At the time I commented that I shouldn't have to pay the full ride when many others weren't. I think I ended up paying $99. Soon it will be $0 for those willing to haggle. Actually, it is $0 with this - $48 is just the install.

I wonder how much the average sucker is forking over. Buying cars used to be like this. Like cars, this archaic business method needs to end.