1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controller Problem/Operator error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kenster, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Occasionally, right after I use the UTV remote to turn on my TV, I forget to push the SAT button before trying to change channels on the TV. This knocks it off the SAT. The only way I can get it back on is to switch to the television's remote and push the TV/Video button which put the receiver back to where it says "Video" on the screen. Then I can push the SAT button and can control the receiver with the UTV remote.
    My question is.... Is there not a button on the UTV remote that I could push similar to the "TV/Video" button on the TV's remote?
    I never have to use the TV remote for anything so I like to have it put away. Any suggestions?

2. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I am in the same boat with My Toshiba TV. I have to use the Toshiba remote to switch between TV/VCR/DVD, etc. I haven't been able to find a way to use the UTV remote to do it.

3. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Yes, mine is a Toshiba also. The UTV remote does turn the TV off and on. I don't have anything else hooked up to it except the UTV.

4. Richssat

Richssat AllStar

Jul 2, 2002
    I am guessing that you have a RCA UTV unit. The Sony has the TV/Video button right on top. For the RCA remote, try pushing TV followed by Input. That should toggle the TV between inputs. Don't forget to push Sat when you are done. If that doesn't work, try other remote codes listed for your brand of TV. I have found that some codes will not work all the tv features.

HTH

RR

5. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    I have a Sanyo - the Input button on the UTV remote works for me in these situations

6. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I just want to clarify my problem. My RCA UTV remote controls the TV and the SAT (UTV) just fine. The problem is: sometimes I turn on the tv, the punch in a channel number (say..11) BEFORE I punch the SAT (actually labeled "DirecTV") button. I think what is happening is that this takes it out of the S-Video input. I have to go get the Toshiba TV contoller and punch the "TV/Video" toggle to get the "S-Video" input back.
    Is there a button, or a procedure, where I can use the RCA UTV remote to switch the TV back to the s-video input?
    Rick and Richssat, I am at work right now and can't visualize the UTV remote. Is there an actual button labelled "Input?"
    Are you saying that if I lose the s-video input, I should press "TV" then the "input" button?
    Thanks for your help. I guess I'm a bit dense.

7. David W

David W Cool Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Is there a way to lock your TV so you can't change channels? I have this features on my Sony TV...so if my remote is in the wrong mode, it's impossible for me to accidentally change the channel.

8. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I've never seen this feature on my Toshiba, but I'll check. My father-in-law frequently pushes the wrong button on his RCA 27 inch. I wonder if IT has such a lock.

9. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I've tried using the "input" button on the UTV remote to see if that helps, but it does not appear to do anything at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.