1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert to SWM/DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by riprecked, Jan 8, 2012.

1. riprecked

riprecked Mentor

Oct 11, 2009
    I current have MRV running over Ethernet to all of my receivers. My dish is the Slimline-5 with four outputs running into a 8 way multiswitch.

I want to convert to SWM16 so I can add the HR34. (I am using 5 tuners currently).

Can I just replace my current multiswitch with an SWM16 Single Wire Multiswitch w/power supply. Then add a pair of 8-way splitters and Ethernet via DECA to each splitter side?

Hope I have figured this out. Thanks in advance.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That should work. You will need a deca adapter for each receiver/dvr that does not have one built in. Currently only the H24, H25, and HR24 have it built in. You will not need 8 way splitter, you can use 2 four ways (one on each leg).

The HR34 can hook to ethernet for the bridge, or you can use an internet connection DECA off the splitter.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I can't answer the first part, but I wouldn't use two 8-way splitters; you'll have a lot of unused terminals. One coax from the 16 to your HR34 and then a 4-way for your current boxes.

4. riprecked

riprecked Mentor

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you. I wasn't aware that the HR34 could do the Ethernet bridge, that will make it easier. The rest of my equipment is H24 or HR24 so I won't need the DECA adapters then.

And thanks for pointing out I only need 4-way splitters. Makes sense.

Sounds easier than I thought.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Splitter. You only need one 4-way.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just make sure you split it up so you don't have more than 8-tuners coming off a SWiM-16 leg.

7. riprecked

riprecked Mentor

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks. That is why I was looking at two 4-way splitters. The HR34 is 5 tuners, and I have 1 HR24, and two H24s (9 total tuners).

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, if you arent going to be using an internet connection kit, you can just hook one of them directly into the SWM16 without a splitter.
    Plug the rest into the 4 way.