1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Converting 3lnb to SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rbpeirce, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I bought a house that has a 3lnb dish with multiple lines coming in. In converting to SWM, can I use one of those lines or do new lines need to be strung?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    If you convert to SWM by replacing the LNB at the dish, you only need one line and you can use one of the lines you have.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    He can only replace the LNB if it is a Slimline 3 LNB. Isn't there a 101/110/119 round dish 3 LNB?

Either way whether you need to replace just the LNB or the entire dish, you can use any of those cables. If there are four of them you may want to leave the other three be rather than removing them, just in case someday you expand your system beyond the capability of a SWM LNB.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    MY 18 x 20, SD, 3 lnb dish that got the 101/110/119 satellites only had 2 coax cables coming from the LNB.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though since the official installation guideline ("SPIG") which many installers follow calls for four lines connected to a P. III triple sat. oval to a four barrel ground block even if not all are used. The four lines can therefore nevertheless be a tell-tale sign of a possible P. III dish the TS has.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this is like J-walking, it is a "law" that no one follows.....