1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cooking Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Unknown, May 15, 2010.

1. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    i try searching on here and got nowhere. there is a new channel coming on May 31st. it will replace the Fine Living channel. will Directv carry it, i believe the channel number would be 232. Anyone have ideas.

2. miller24

miller24 Legend

Jun 25, 2007
    If it's replacing Fine Living, I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

3. marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    Just like Nat Geo Wild taking over Fox Reality, right? :)

4. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Scripps announced that Cooking Channel will replace FLN on 5/31 --and the understanding I haves that the date is etched in stone, and that DirecTV WILL be carrying it on 232.

No word on HD for it though....I would presume no, but you know how that goes....

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Is this simply a re branding of the channel? If so, then I would say unless something weird happens, you will see it smoothly transition.

6. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_Channel

I'm guessing since its a rebranding of a current channel we'll get it, just like we automatically got Centric when it changed from BET J; same with Disney XD (formerly Toon Disney). Its a different situation than Fox Reality/Nat Geo Wild. NGW was a current channel that had been available in most of the world for a few years, so they needed a new carriage agreement, which for some reason D* never reached.

7. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    In the May/June DTV Programming Newsletter you will see The Cooking Channel already listed as part of DTV's "New Channel Lineup".... It appears on Ch. 232 (same as FLN).... FLN has been removed from the Channel Lineup....

So yes, it'll be just like BET-J's seamless conversion to Centric, as the Coca Cola Kid stated...

There is no HD icon next to it (Cooking Ch.) so we will be getting the SD feed at first...

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Do we really need two channels on food? Why not combine the two?

9. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    We will actually have 3. :D Travel channel has turned into a foodie fest also.:lol:

10. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Food Network is going to have more reality/contest style shows and Cooking Channel will have nothing but old fashioned cooking shows.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    For now.

12. Googer

Googer Mentor

Jan 12, 2007
    And hopefully Cooking Channel remains that way - I long for the days of having a channel like what Food Network used to be in, say, the late 90's and it sounds like Cooking Channel will be it. Hopefully we get it in HD before long though. :p

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Yes I know. Planet Green has Emeril. Geesh!

14. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    2 channels dedicated to cooking is nothing. There's 5 ESPN's!

15. zmclean

zmclean Mentor

Jul 7, 2007
    Twitter from DTV and DirecTV indicate it will launch on the 31st on 232 but no mention of HD again.

16. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    We're close to getting The Ocho. :D

[​IMG]

17. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    :lol:

18. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm thinking that will come once D10 is shaken and stired then brought back online.

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    That's a holiday. But I wish D's customers all the best!

20. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The info I have seen says FLN will change to The Cooking Channel on the 31st.