1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping from dvr to dvd.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 4tide1, Dec 14, 2010.

1. 4tide1

4tide1 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Is there and easy way to copy show form an hr24 dvr to a dvd. I record lost of football games and some I would like to copy to a dvd to keep to watch later. I don't really care about picture quality. Any ideas on the easy way to do this?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    A stand alone DVD recorder is the easiest bet.

3. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    yes a dvd recorder is about the only way to record them to dvd but to do that you will have to play the game on live tv soyou will tie up the tv for the lengh of the game so you might just sit there and watch it, or show your wife how to do it during the day while she is at home. I'm sure she would love to do that.

4. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    It's really not that difficult. I copy to DVD all the time. The simplest way is to start it when you go to bed and just let it go. If my wife and I are going out for a couple of hours that's another perfect time. Just a matter of making best use of the available time when the TV isn't in use.

5. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Yep......and the TV doesn't have to be on. I'm retired, so home most days......I fire stuff up, start a DVD burning, turn the TV off and go do something else for a couple hours (drink coffee, "surf the net", play guitar in the garage, etc.).

6. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I'd suggest recording the games 1 half per disk, in SP quality. It will look a lot better if you do. Not all DVD recorders are created equal. Some make better recordings than others. I've had good luck w/ Toshiba. Bad luck w/ Samsung. I'd also recommend DVD-r disks, as the +r, an others, don't play in ALL dvd players. Use the S-video output from the receiver for best quality.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I use my DVD recorder with a hard drive.
    Start the recording and set to record to the hard drive for however long the show is using the best quality.
    Then I can edit the show to record to the DVD.
    It's been awhile since I did it last, but works well.

Others have recorded to their PC using a video capture device.
    Editing using software is a lot easier than using the DVD recorder's.

8. 4tide1

4tide1 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Thanks for the info all. Looks like I am in the market for a good DVD recorder now:)

9. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Sounds like fun! :D Thats how I get shows off my mothers DVR. I just have a simple straight to dvd burner. Start the burn at night. On average I can get 6 hrs on one DVD.

10. starshockey

starshockey Cool Member

Oct 5, 2010
    So i guess this can be done. I was at BB on black Friday looking at DVD recorders and there happened to be a DTV rep there and he said recording from the DVR to a DVD could not be done??:confused:

11. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    S vid and RCA cables are your friends! you can record anything that you can output on RCA cables.

i have a panny e80 thats over 5 years old. other than 1 HD crash it's performed perfectly

by now they are probably up to e120 lol. it was 500 bucks back then

12. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Shows what they know!

13. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, tell that to the 20 or so discs of news shows I've recorded for my wife, a PR rep who needs 'em!

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My guess is that the DirecTV rep was stuck on HD and not thinking about recording using the SD outputs. They sometimes have blinders on.

15. kovach

kovach Mentor

Feb 22, 2010
    Component vs. S-Video will provide even better picture quality.

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Except that not too many DVD recorders have component inputs.
    But, then I haven't looked for one in quite a while.

17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    One of the few recorders with component is an old Polaroid 2001G. In spite of that its PQ was substantially worse than s-video on my panasonics. So I sold it on eBay a while back for about $40, which incidentally is what I paid for most of my panasonics. You could buy retail (around $200), but there's really no good reason. Most on eBay are like new anyway. Of the half dozen or so I've bought over the years, all were practically mint.

18. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    I used to do this with no problem, when I tried last week, all i got was a blue screen on the tv, and couldn't get a recording. I assumed directv had somehow made this impossible to do. I confirmed both devices were working ok after I tried, but hooking to the TV with the cables I was using to go from the DVR to the DVD recorder, then to the TV. No luck for me.

19. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Last time I got a blue screen on the DVD recorder when trying to record something from the DVR, it was because I hadn't selected the correct input on the DVD Recorder (wife had been trying to watch a DVD and pushed every button on the remote several times)....

20. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    You're right, they don't make any with component inputs.