1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Copper Canceled -- Why?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Rich, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Such a good show, such good casting and writing. And it goes down the tubes. What were they thinking?

Rich

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I really liked this show. And I was glad when they sort of moved the little girl out of the story line. But the Major's wife going all addict was sort of a weird stretch. And the last episode chasing after Booth felt very manufactured as well. I liked that they were showing us their past and how their relationships formed, but the Booth part felt fake.

I'll miss it.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Guess we'll have to see what happens with Orphan Black. Season 1 was generally under 500,000 viewers

4. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I'm not surprised. Even though I liked this show, the story line seemed to be going downhill..

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I really liked this show. And I was glad when they sort of moved the little girl out of the story line. But the Major's wife going all addict was sort of a weird stretch. And the last episode chasing after Booth felt very manufactured as well. I liked that they were showing us their past and how their relationships formed, but the Booth part felt fake.

I'll miss it.

I thought the same of the last episode. I did like how they did not find Booth. If they had, the show would have definitely jumped the shark.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am beginning to wonder if most smart people own dvr's these days. That means that more and more, less smart people do not, and the ratings are based on live tv viewers.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem is money. If you look at the long, long cast list for two seasons which contains many non-scale names you see a budget out of control. Then there is the fact that BBCA did not find distribution in Britain. It became available on a Netflix-type Amazon British subsidiary in September.

On the other hand, "Orphan Black" may have BBCA money in it, but it is a Temple Street Productions of Canada show, through and through. The best cast members you never heard of, no heavy costs for sets, etc. I'm just hoping that success doesn't spoil it's relative simplicity because BBCA isn't even in Dish's first tier and Canada can't sustain an American-type production on its own.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Good!

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Sorry I thought you were talking about Anderson Cooper.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was really surprised when they said a young girl could get married at 10 years of age. I wonder if that was true. I can't figure out how to Google it.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We started watching it and my wife didn't like it. I did. I gotta finish it. As usual, I'll still be watching last season's shows for quite awhile. I just found The Borgias were unwatched. Gotta catch up on that, too. Another good show cancelled.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been fascinated by Five Points since I saw Gangs of New York. Copper's cancellation caught me totally by surprise.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think they do factor in DVRs in the ratings now, but only for a brief period after the original show is broadcast. That leaves me out, I wait for long periods before I watch many shows. Some shows with many characters and convoluted scripts (like 24), I think are better when viewed all at once.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed. Period shows must be terribly expensive.

I wish we had access to Canadian content.

Rich

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tried to like it, but it was so dark--I mean, actually, physically DARK, and claustrophobic, and the characters seemed interchangeable and generic. I couldn't keep track of anybody and I could care less about them. Reminded me of "Gangs of New York", an awful pic with similar elements.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    <cough>Torrents</cough>

1 person likes this.
  17. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Loved this last season! Was home recovering from the crud and watched it end to end over a 4 or 5 day stretch. It had much better depth and continuity than what I remembered of season 1 (which is why it had accumulated the entire second season unwatched in the first place). End of the day, I think it was too heady for most of the US audience. Very "European" in its content and presentation styles. Required focus and involvement in the story.

I wonder if the "Booth" sidebar episode set things in motion for an (at the time) expected season 3? I felt like toward the last few episodes a lot of groundwork was being laid to delve into other plot lines going forward.

Definitely this is a loss.

Don "more of this sort of thing and less remakes of stuff from the past please" Bolton

1 person likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Couldn't agree with you more. It did require more attention than most of the drivel we get.

Rich

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It was definitely a smarter show than your average show. Most people I talked to didn't "get it". *shrug*

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Undoubtedly too deep and dark for most folks. Shame of it is, it showed a period of great chaos and showed it very well.

Rich