1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Hr24 Hard Drive to External Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kidsat, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kidsat

kidsat New Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Hi,
    I have a HR24 that the video started to freeze on. It would happen every 2 seconds, would happen on previously recorded shows as well. I tried the scan disk and it said it had 45 errors. It fixed 3, then would have to reboot. Then it would automatically go to scan disk again and would sit at 42 errors and 0 fixed.
    I assumed the hard drive was toast.

I put in a new hard drive from another HR24 I had laying around, so the receiver is now working fine.

My question is, I had many shows on the old freezing drive. Can I transfer the shows from that drive to an external drive and watch them on the HR24 with the new drive in it.

If you can. Please let me know what type of external drive I need and how to transfer the old drive to the external.

Thank you in advance.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    We have extensive description of the process. Please search for the couple threads.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'll made another reference: rule#1 in recovery data from HDD: do nothing if you are not a pro (because just simple powering will ruin your drive to "a point of no return", say one particle will jump with heads and scratch surface more and more);
    rule#2: make an assessment, technical; at home best way is to run MHDD (at least Victoria) and get SMART, then Scan with a Remap ...

What I'm writing here ?! I did that so many times ... no one is taking ... not good for you :(