1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying shows from 625?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MattN03, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MattN03

MattN03 Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Is there a way to copy shows to a PC from our 625 DVR?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Copying files could be done on any Linux PC or by any Windows driver/program what support EXT2/EXT3 partitions; but the files are encrypted and no one will tell you how to play these.
    Perhaps you could write a letter to dish SW Dept ? :D

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Copy? No. What you would need would be a capture card with coax or rca inputs and record in real time during playback from the receiver.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Duh ? It's Linux drive after all. Educate by yourself.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The bottom line is the "files" are useless unless played on the receiver that recorded them - so there is really no point in copying them (nor bothering DISH for instructions they will not give).

Dubbing (as Gary suggested) is the only way of making the content play on a PC (or other device).

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You need to be less tech and more help.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps quoting OP's post will expalin what he asked ? He didn't ask for more what was suggested here. Seems I did help him, but you.
    Is there a way to copy shows to a PC from our 625 DVR?

BTW, discussion posters is against the site rules.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How does copying unplayable files help the OP? How does suggesting contacting DISH for decryption help the OP? DISH will not give instructions on how to break their encryption.

If the OP wants to play content from his 625 on his PC garys' post is the answer.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Even if you wanted to get all nit-picky and literal... the OP did ask how to copy "shows"... not "files"...

If he copies the files, he will absolutely NOT have his shows... because to be a show they would need to be capable of being shown... which they would not, due to the encryption.

Thus... in order to copy the "shows" garys gave the only known way to accomplish this.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    garys is the mind reader :D and all of you ... :p perhaps OP will shine ?

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    My job is customer service, which includes to an extent to read their minds. Most people want to solve their problems with the easiest method and do not want to be educated to something that doesn't work. I base my answers here on this. If the OP wants the info on what can be a costly and time consuming project, I will then help with what info I can. Since the OP is currently using a 625, I gave the answer I believe the OP wants.

12. MattN03

MattN03 Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like there is an "easy" way to copy the files.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    We all expecting your detailing post - what you try to achieve exactly ?!

But you just add fuel to the bickering - and seems I was right - it was a request to provide description of "way to copy the files". See my answer in post#2.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Dubbing is the only way to get viewable files.
    Copying unviewable files is pointless.

15. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you want to try what I suggested, look into products from Elgato or Hauppauge or do a google search under TV tuner for PC or Mac. A lot of these will work via coax, rca and s-video connections, and are fairly inexpensive and easy to use, it just real time to record them. Copying files will not remove encryption Dish has in place and to me is not worth it when you can't view them anyway.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think our world will be doomed, if OP will do copy of these files and will discovered something what no one allowed to know. :D

17. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Except maybe for backup purposes.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    How I forgot the aspect of copying files ? Duh !

19. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Arnt we all forgetting about PocketDish??? A PocketDish will copy any recording from a 625 and will allow you to play those recordings on the PocketDish, as well as transfer them back to the 625 if you deleted them. Once the files are on the PocketDish you can move them to PC/laptop/flashdrive or anything w/ a Harddrive to 'save' said files for later. Of course they can ONLY be viewed on either the PocketDish or the 625, and when moving the files to, lets say a flashdrive, make sure to move all files associated w/ said recording. Small recordings, 1/2 hr 1 hr shows are usually in 1 file, but larger ones, like a football game are broken up into 2-3 files w/ the following file extensions: .dpd .dp0 and another .dp that I can't recall at the moment. Unlike w/ external Harddrive's on todays HD rcvrs, the Pocketdish merely copied recordings leaving the original entact on the DVR. PocketDish won't copy HD recordings and I can't even get it to copy ANY file from my 722 or 922 no matter whether its and HD or SD recording or even an E.A. or W.A. recording (some have suggested EA recordings take up more file space than WA ones). PocketDish was designed for SD DVRs like the 625, 522, etc. PocektDish is no longer in production but can be easily obtained from ebay or amazon.